Thursday, February 08, 2007

Writing, Writing, Writing

I'm really enjoying my life in writing. But, sometimes, it can get monotonous. Because of all the work I am working on at school, plus home stuff, plus Cassi school stuff, you would begin to wonder if I slept at all.

I think I've been mastering my techniques of time management. Plus, it's a wonder women are so good at multi-tasking. When you've got as much stuff to do as we do (especially me), time management and multi-tasking go hand-in-hand. Also, I hate having to leave things to continue the next day, because I am such a perfectionist. But, as I grow older, I see that I have to understand that my 150 things that need done today can be carried over till tomorrow.

So, for this weekend, I've got:

Tech Writing:
1. 2 page paper on Breathalyzers (a tech-y paper)
2. research on my project (think I need help getting some focus, thesis, etc)
3. write a paper like #1 for my project (will help in the end with #2)

Poetry:
1. update my journal (Cause I LOVE when I get comments from my blog-friends, who I've been including in my journal portfolio for a grade. Yes, this means y'all are sharing my grade!)
2. read poems and do a critical reading of one Sylvia Plath poem for Monday (I did this with my poem for memorization and it took over 2 hours to complete)
3. poems to write in specific forms: sestina, rimas (almost done), "in the manner of"
4. revise poems already written (As this class we not only write new poems based on specific forms, we are also constantly revising poems already written to make them better, thus, the work never ends until we turn in our personal portfolios with finished pieces.)

On a more serious note, I went to the ear doctor yesterday. Rob has been telling me for years that I am going deaf and need hearing aids. As I've explained, all the doctors keep telling me is that, "Yes, you are going deaf, but there's nothing we can do about it."

The last time I had my ears examined by an audiologist, taken the "test," my left ear was good and right ear was going deaf at the higher pitch sounds. So, when you looked at the results, the ears were not at the same level for both.

However, there was a difference of opinion regarding my "deafness." According to the audiologist, I am a candidate for hearing aids. Yes! Someone heard what we've been arguing about. Her perception is that my hearing loss is centered with the nerves, which means that eventually, I will go deaf. The doctor, thinks I am a borderline candidate and that Rob and I should think about if I should get hearing aids.

Well, for those of you who know us, you know our answer. YES!

Now, the drawback. Good hearing aids, that have noise-reducing capabilities (and all digital) can run upwards of $4K a pair. YIKES! My grandfather who's still living has hearing aids. I've heard that his are even more expensive. So, we call health insurance to see if they are covered at all. Rob thinks they are not and there goes our nice tax return. But, if it will help me hear better, yeah! Insurance says, "They are covered 50% up to a cost of $2k per ear." That sounds good to me. That means the top-of-the-line pair, costing $4k would only cost out-of-pocket $2k. Ultimately, we're exploring these options to see what would be best for me.

As it stands now, the buzzing in my ears are so loud that I can barely hear. Oh, the update again about the vertigo and dizziness (I think I spelled that right). According to the doctor, he agreed about it possibly being viral, that darned inner ear infection. He told me to keep using the Antivert (anti-vertigo meds) as I am still getting dizzy. But, he said to try to wean off of them as the dizzy spells could last a month. But, if I'm still dizzy after a month, get back in touch with him. The fluid behind my ear drum did appear to be gone (yeah!). He did say that my vertigo and dizziness could be related to my hearing as our ears tend to control not just hearing but balance too.

Betcha didn't know that?

So, I've got meetings today, along with homework. But, now that I've blabbed! Yes, I've got the lazies too, regarding housework. I've got about 2-3 loads of laundry to fold. At least one of them thus far has made it up the stairs and on the bed for folding. But, I've got dishes to do too. Probably later tonight, after I help Cassi get her homework done.

Lots of love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I hope you are able to figure out a way to get hearing aids and still pay off the furniture on mom & dad's credit card!

Cupcake Blonde said...

I'm glad you went to the doctor and they are trying to figure out what is wrong. Hopefully they will figure out the problem soon.