Friday, February 23, 2007

DOL Update

As I explained in an earlier post, last week, I received a check from a former employer. On the note line, it mentioned DOL Audit. This came to meant for us Department of Labor.

OK.

Today, I went to the career fair that was at CSU (another post needed later). Good for me. Well, it just so happened that the DOL had a table. I stopped by to ask. I know they couldn't tell me specifics about my "case," but if they could answer general questions, that would be great.

I explained what happened and how I got the check. Lucky for me (I think this is #5), one of the reps used to work in the hourly wage and taxes department and could answer my questions.

So, I explained.

It appears that my complaint didn't fall by the wayside. First off, because the doctor docked my hours by 11 hours pay, well, by itself would not have warranted an audit. Because I was making more than minimum wage, my last paycheck would have needed to total the minimum wage amount, with the missing hours. Since it did, I was kind of out of luck. But, because I did file a complaint about overtime not being paid, etc, this causes them to warrant an audit of the company.

But, she also told me that when a complaint is presented, the DOL maybe in a one-year backlog of complaints. Also, with that in mind, once they audit the company, the DOL reviews hours worked/time sheets and pay checks for 2 calendar years. I was lucky again, being that I came in just in time for the 2 calendar year requirement.

It appears the company did get audited and owed me money. Quite possibly, the company also had to pay fines to the DOL for the discresionary(sp?) issues with pay and time sheets. After working for the community college, who also didn't pay for overtime and thought they could get you to work, at this job, I posted all of my overtime hours, even if I knew I wasn't getting paid and even if it was 15 minutes or a half hour. In the end, that was their undoing because it was right there in black and white that I worked hours and didn't get paid for them. Tsk! Tsk!

The moral of the story: If you're working for a company who tells you they won't pay you overtime but expect you to work it, file it on your time sheet. Then, if you complain and the company gets audited and lose, they will owe you the money. The government sometimes works for the little man. It took a while, but I got vengence.

OK, gotta go. I've got to do: financial aid forms, online apps for summer employment, homework, Cassi, fundraiser for Cassi's school to prep, AND more blogging.

Oh, by the way, thanks to all my blog friends and family who have posted comments. I am using them in my poetry class journals. Plus, I love reading what everyone has to say about what I am saying. Oh, by the way, I've reopened my comments to anyone who reads my blog. Comment away!

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. Time to go pick up pip squeak!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yep I guess you were lucky!! Talk about perfect timing!