Saturday, February 17, 2007

Luck on my side?

Yesterday and into this morning, it seems my luck (our luck) has happened three times.

First, as we were going to mom and dad's house, our mail was finally at the front door, at 6pm. But, I don't blame the man as it still looks like a war zone outside with all the piles of snow in my front yard and walk way.

So, Marie says the mail is there. We tell her that's fine because we're going to take it with us. As I walk out to the car, I leaf through the envelopes. I shout to Rob, "Hey! There's a letter here from Dr. Ahmed's office. I wonder what they want?"

For those of you who might remember, two years ago, I worked for a sleep medicine doctor for about 6 months, doing medical transcription. The whole experience was so bad. One major problem that happened while I was there. I was so upset with working extra hours and not getting paid OT. Also, I was trying to help get them caught up with work that needed to be done by two full-time employees. On one occasion, he was so demeaning to me, I clenched my teeth. I know I was so upset that I clenched my teeth so hard I abscessed them, causing my need for a root canal in my front tooth. But, the bottom line happened right with the first pay check right after Thanksgiving. I got the check that was 11 hours short. The day before I received the paycheck, I receive this notice stating a change in my working hours, which I did not approve. When I was hired, it was to work 8:30am to 5:00pm with a half hour lunch, which is still and 8 hour day. I was still working that way and often working through my lunches. That letter stated I would work 8:30 to 5:30 with an hour lunch. Because I was only working until 5, they were docking my pay. Plus, the day after Thanksgiving, which I thought was being paid to me, was not. They never once said, yes, you get the day after turkey day off, but you won't get paid. It was their way of trying to get me to take off and not get paid. I called Rob, who came to my job, demanding why I wasn't paid my full pay. When he wouldn't calm down, I was immediately fired and banned from the premises. AND, that afternoon, we were also called by the Middleburgh Heights Police, saying if we ever set foot in the office, we would be arrested to tresspassing.

But, yesterday, I get an envelope in the mail. The odd thing was, I've moved since working for this doctor, and never gave them the new address. So, they got it. As I go to eye the envelope to see what's inside, I notice it's not a letter, it's a check. HMMMMM? Very strange indeed.

In the car, I open the envelope. There's a check from them for $291! Huh? I haven't worked there in 2 years. But, there's a comment in the note line. It says: DOL audit. HMMM, even stranger. Well, after I got fired and didn't get my pay, I contacted the US Department of Labor to complain about the doctor. It appears my complaint didn't fall on deaf ears. It just took two years to get my vengence. Rob and I guess that the DOL got enough complaints to require an audit of their employee work records. Of course, they have all my pay sheets, that had overtime on them and hours that hadn't been paid for.

Good Luck #1: Getting vengence of back owed to me from a doctor I worked for 2 years ago. We haven't had a chance to deposit it yet as we want to scan it. My guess is that because it's considered wages, we'll see a W2 from them this year when it comes to tax time. Need the copy to prove what they sent me incase the W2 isn't correct.

Then, all afternoon Thursday, we drove around the area, looking for an inexpensive snow blower. DIDN'T happen! Well, after we got the check, and leaving mom and dad's, we headed home. Before going home, Rob decides he wants to stop at Wal Mart near our house. Good timing. We're walking around and see they're getting the pallets out for restocking for the night. On one pallet, we see a smaller box with a snow blower in it. I tell Rob to follow them. We get there and pull the box right off the pallet. We get the price for it $297! They didn't even get a chance to put it out. We bought it. I think we had to actually put $25 out of our pocket in it.

Good Luck #2: We got a snow blower for less than $500! Plus, we know that it will snow again before the season is over. (snowing right now) So, it will get use.

Finally, this morning, we went over to Lowe's home improvement store. Last year, we purchased drapes for our two MAJOR windows in the living room side of the great room. The windows are 96" by 62" each. The panels we purchased then seem to be shrinking a little. So, the panels we purchased are now not enough. We went back to where we got them from. But, for some reason, we don't find them. I walked around and asked if they still sold them. Nope. But, if there's any left, they'll be on clearance at the end of another aisle. Luck! The ones we need are the ones they've got left.

Good Luck #3: We got to finish our drapes in our living room.

So, with all this good luck, hopefully, and even for a little while, that luck continues!

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Cupcake Blonde said...

Money you didn't know was coming is always great! I like getting refund checks in the mail because usually it is so long after I send them in I forget so getting acheck is always fun. What is even better though is this is money owed to you and revenge is sweet! See, the government may work a bit slower but at least they come through sometimes.