Friday, February 23, 2007

Today's Career Fair

This time, the career fair was worth going. Even though I had good luck with getting information from the DOL, I did have bad luck with my suit. As some would call it, I had a "wardrobe malfunction" in THAT area.

This week, Rob took me to a plus size clothing shop. It is called Catherine's. Good name, eh? I digress. It turns out that this store is a sister store to the Lane Bryant line. Well, for years, I was able to purchase gorgeous suits from Lane Bryant and loved them. But, in recent years, I have dreaded going into Lane Bryants as their style changed, and not for the better in my opinion. But, I still shop there for my jeans.

But, as the sales rep stated, because Catherine's was part of the line, the parent corporation turned Lane Bryant into a more trendy shop for younger buyers. Okay, that left me out. And, they didn't want to have competition between the store, being under the same corporation.

I REALLY liked the selection they had to offer. Better looking clothes for me because I don't want to look like a, as I would call it, "a prostitute" when going out to work or around. So, Rob helped me find this beautiful suit. Along with the suit, I got a new bra, and a new pair of panty hose. The suit was a dress with a jacket that fit, but not too tight. It even had a little room in the bust area, an important aspect for me.

Okay, so today, as I said, I went to the career fair at CSU. There were about 190 companies. Hopefully, this is a good sign for this area for job growth. At one table, I had dropped my pen, and this happened to be early in the "game" for me. I kneeled down to pick up my pen and hear this "rip" sound. Hmm, I'm thinking it might be the buttons on my jacket. I casually feel for the buttons. Nope. They're good. But, the room is VERY loud and I've got my hearing aides on. So, I figure I'll just keep going.

I walk around. I've got some good vibes from some of the companies I visited with. Of course, I talked with the folks from Hyland Software. I'm bound and determined to get in there. They are hiring for summer interns. A bonus with this company is that it is just down the street from my doctor's office, about 20 mintues away. What I do need to do is get in contact with the recruiting director and ask her if she can meet with me to review my resume. Kind of get a "what am I doing" wrong with their company to see if I can fix what's wrong with my approach with them.

Then, I met with the folks from the Cleveland Clinic. They are hiring for interns in their marketing department at the main campus. The job entails their internal and external publications, interviewing and writing stories for them, along with helping to prepare the layouts. Sounds good to me. They were definitely interested in my resume and getting it back to the HR for further review. Also, it should be a bonus that Rob works there too.

Next, I head for a company, called MCPc. I figure since I want to get back into technical writing, I should look at technology firms. They were VERY interested in getting my resume back to the office. There might be some good fits in many of the different departments they are hiring for. And, she gave me her business card.

I also went to PolyOne. It is a company that's close to me in Avon Lake, even closer than Hyland. They are looking for interns to work in the HR department. I know they are doing hiring right now in the training and orgaization development team. Well, when working with Ernst & Young, this is the department I worked for. I think I'm a fit to work in their HR department, since this is where this function falls under.

AND, I also talked with the ladies from Career Services. I've got to get into see my coordinator on Tuesday.

From there, I went over to my mini-poetry class. There were 3 of us there and the prof. We did some one-on-one time with her and had lunch, a very nice "small group" get together. I would definitely do it again. All this time, I'm still wearing my suit jacket over my dress (coming to the bad luck part).

As I'm driving home, I am drinking a cafe mocha. It's a Ghirardelli cocoa drink with espresso (note to self: not a good drink for me). I'm drinking it and get some on my suit. Okay. Gotta get home and get it into the washer before the stain sets in. Yep, it's a washable suit. GOOD!

So, I get the jacket off, then the suit. When, low and behold, I find a rip right on the front of my dress, right on the RIGHT BOOB! Talk about wardrobe malfunction. Must have happened when I bent down to pick up my pen. So, now, I'm hoping I can get the dress fixed, but I'm not sure. Hopefully, getting a job will be a positive for the bad luck with the dress.

I think I'm cursed when it comes to wanting to have nice clothes for working, suits and all. Everyone pray for me that the dress can get fixed.

OK. Gotta go. I'm supposed to be working on my memorization. I've got 30 lines to memorize for my mid-term in the poetry class. I will recite my poem on 3/5 and get video taped. I should be able to get it done in time.

Lots of love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

3 comments:

Miki said...

Do you stil have the receipt? I would take it back to the store and tell them that you want another, not asking for a refund, just another dress that isn't ripped. Seriously, it isn't as if you took a knife to it! Or take it back to them and tell them to fix it. You spent a lot of hard earned dolllars in that store, it is up to them to help you out. If you get nowhere in the store, write to the Parent company. Tell them that you don't want to shop ther anymore because of the quality of the merchandise and that you weren't given any satisfaction when you tried to explain the situation at the store. Take Names, and mention them in your letter, make sure that you speak to a manager in the store, and let her/him know that you will be letting the parent company know how you were treated with this situation, good or bad. You will get results, trust me!

Lynda said...

I agree with Miki. You should take it back, tell them you only wore it once.

But your jacket covered the rip, right?

Unknown said...

Good luck getting the dress fixed, I hope it can be!! As for drinking liquids in the car, it is the same as eating with you, it always ends up on you, you should know better than that!