Monday, February 26, 2007

This Weekend...

I can't BELIEVE how much homework I caught up on this weekend.

First, for my poetry class, I needed to do a write up about my grandfather. I wrote a poem, called The Alzheimer's Patient. When we met for our "lunch" thing, Professor Nuala asked me how I knew background about Alzheimer's patients. I explained that it was 2-fold. First, my grandfather is moving toward Alzheimer's because of medication and his being so forgetful. Plus, Rob has worked in the past at nursing homes. While at one nursing home, he worked on a floor with Alzheimer's patients. He was always coming home and telling me stories about the families and the patients themselves. So, for today's class, Professor Nuala asked me to write background information about my grandfather, as much information that I know. Well, it ended up being almost 2 full pages, single-spaced, typed. There's probably so much more I could write, though. I needed clarification on printing it and was confirmed to make copies to share with everyone. Because much of my poetry this time around is based on personal experiences, she wants to show everyone how a poem can come from the information I share.

Then, we each were given a Sylvia Plath poem to do a critical reading of. This was given to us a couple of weeks ago, but I had never typed it up or printed for sharing. That I did. That document to share is 4 pages. Last week, I created my own personal Rondeau-form poem and one of my classmates worked with me to make, what I call, a "Team Rondeau." Both of these poems should be on my Creative Writing blog.

I also had to update my journal. Thanks to all my friends who faithfully read and comment. Finally, I had made updates to my Rimas-form poem and my Sestina-form poem. These should also be on my Creative Writing blog. You can go HERE to find it (or in my left-panel navigation). Oh, my Rimas isn't there yet. First, it's not finished to my liking. And, shhhh, it's my secret poem to give to Rob for our 10th anniversary.

Now, this week, I'll work to have my mid-term poem memorization completed, which means there will probably be no more writing poems this week. We have to recite next Monday. AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Then, I had two technical writing papers to rewrite. Both of them had the same type of problems, my introductions needed to be bulkier. So, I did them. I also wrote up my journal entry, even though Professor Mary has my journal to grade so far. Because last week's paper dealt with writing instructions, I had someone else's instructions to read, do, and make suggestions for fixing if needed. Did that. Also, last Thursday, we worked in the library to research our thesis statements for the MAJOR paper. My thesis is: How are interactive whiteboards effective in the K-12 classroom? Mary needed to help me get a focus on WHAT to write about. So, for tomorrow night's class, I need to RESEARCH and come to class with 30-40 articles pertaining to my paper, just the list of titles, not the actual articles. Although, my guess is that she wouldn't be too upset if we came to class with the articles too.

Besides all the homework going on, we went to one of Rob's friends houses. We had been invited to dinner. Cassi had someone to play with as his friend's granddaughter was there. She is about Cassi's age. This was a good deal for her. I think they had a good time together.

This morning, I got Cassi off to school, did dishes and took out the garbage. I dropped of Box Tops for Education and Campbell's Soup Labels to the principal. Both mom (nana) and Aunt Marie ('Re) save these for Cassi. Guess that's a good thing being the only grandchild/niece. You get the support for your school by all the family members on that side. AND, since my side is the only side supporting her, that's just fine by me. Of course, the principal at the school is excited that extended family helps the child too. The phrase, "It takes a village works in this case," as it's mom and dad, pa and nana, Aunt 'Re, and Big Pa Dave who all help her.

After dropping Cassi off, I had to run to Lowe's and buy some new batteries for our garage door opener. For some reason, we cannot find the remote control opener and the regular one, the battery died. Luckily, we've been able to get into the garage through the back door after we bought a new door handle and lock set. Good investment.

AND, all of this before 10am. So, with that, I'm going to go for the day. I need to crunch my poem to memorize for next week. Also, I'm hungry. Need to find food before class. Oh, yeah. I'm also going to stroll around my favorite blogs and see what's going on! (Note to self, update my links with the new ones I've been reading.)

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

2 comments:

Miki said...

you have been a busy lady! Glad tha tyou caught up on stuff! Seriously, take some time for you before class! You need it! Hope tha tyou return that dress from the previous post, it will be worth your while, to try anyhow!

Unknown said...

Good luck with your midterms and memorization! Sorry I haven't had time to read your creative writing blog, I'm back on the 4am shift for at least this week and I'm all messed up right now!