Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Friday that NEVER Ended

Friday was a crazy day for me. First, Cassi went back to school after 2 days off from the bad weather. Sadly, it should have been 3 days, but I digress.

We got to school a few minutes early. Because of the school being closed Wednesday, and I'm the acting president of the PTO, I needed to help take charge of the logistics of the Valentine's Day parties. There was much confusion about whether or not the parties were going to happen. But, as I had written a few days ago, Cassi's teacher and I prepared to have our party Friday. Just so happened the school was closed for 2 days.

Thursday, while Cassi was off, we made a batch of cupcakes and home made frosting (pink of course and red sprinkles). I had planned on bringing "smilie" faced cookies, but the cupcakes worked better. Also, before the party, I picked up Valentine's pencils and erasers to give out to all the kids.

So, after getting Cassi off to class, I started looking at the treasury books, etc. The PTO was supposed to have a meeting on Thursday, but was cancelled for the school closing. I have NO IDEA when we'll have our February meeting. Anyway, we have promised support of the school system's plans for a levy on the next voting day. Because the school's buildings are so old, part of it being as old as the 1800's and in disrepair, the school system is trying to get a levy passed to build an all-new high-tech high school. I would love it if they could get the levy passed. I'm 100% in support of it. Believe me, if Cassi has to go to the high school here now, I may have to send her to the Catholic High School instead.

I started writing checks to prepare for them to be second-signed by the treasurer. Because of financial issues with last year's PTO, this year, all checks need to be signed by 2 people. While writing up checks, a parent calls in about being upset about the party. She wanted to help get goodies together for the party, but the parent in charge of that room never called. I apologized and told her that parent would not be in charge again. But, I also explained when the parties were scheduled and that we, the PTO, would be getting goodies for those classes who didn't have parent-made goodies because of the confusion caused by the days off.

The problem with my going to get goodies? I am not able to pay for the items directly from the PTO checkbook because the treasurer is nowhere to be found. Luckily for me? We got our federal tax refund in direct deposit on Friday. Yeah! As soon as the treasurer can sign the checks, I'll be able to get the money back. So, for the parties, I went to Sam's Club and picked up 9 (yes nine) cases of Capri Sun juices. That's 360 Capri Suns! I also picked up Little Debbie goodies for the food part. Since Rob was off, and I knew the juices would be heavy for me, Rob came along. I love him for helping me get these goodies for the school. We packed the back of his wagon down with juices, forks (needed for the teacher's lounge), and goodies.

Also, at the same time, we needed to pick up a new snow shovel and salt. To get the wagon out of the driveway, he had to shovel a 3-foot snow drift out from behind it. Well, needless to say, he broke the shovel when moving the TON of snow.

We got back to school, where the custodian helped us get the juices and goodies rolled into the school. The principal came out and took the wagon around to each class to see who needed what. The left-overs we'll use for our next pizza party.

I went home again. Got something to eat. Went back to school for the party. There were only 12 kids at the party as 5 of the kids were either sick or didn't make it because of still being snowed in.

Cassi's teacher couldn't believe how quiet everyone was for the party. But, a good quiet.

We came home a little later as we dawdled in the school office before coming home. As we got there, low and behold, Marie is already there in our driveway. We took her to dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Because of a comment earlier on the blog that said she doesn't have good Mexican up in Michigan, I wanted to take her there for dinner. And, the guys didn't disappoint. Marie and I shared combo fajitas for 2. We ended up taking enough home for 2 more! They really LOADED UP the pan. We picked up an early-anniversary cake for Mom & Dad (35th on March 4th) and Rob and I (10th on March 14th) to celebrate our upcoming anniversaries. She won't be able to come down in March at all. That's fine. We went to mom & dad's where Rob put some RAM in Grandpa Dave's computer and we all shared the cake.

After, we did a few errands and came home. It was a VERY hectic, crazy day. Once I got to sleep, I didn't move until almost 10am today.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

No comments: