Monday, February 19, 2007

My Life with New Ears

As the saying goes, "This is the first day of the rest of your life."

Well, for me, that means I will be able to hear things again. I went to the audiologist this morning. Luckily, there were no ENTs working because the audiologist was able to meet with us, explain the options, and get me my new hearing aides and out the door all in the same day.

As some of you know what hearing aides look like, these are NOT them. They are small triangular things that go over my ear, a small, clear tube from the triangular thing (aka the speaker) to the receiver, and a small tube-like grey thing that goes into my ear. When my hair is up, the things are hardly noticeable. When my hair is down, you wouldn't know I'm wearing them.

At first, it's very weird to wear them. They have been a little itchy in my ear canal. That's why it's important to wear them all the time. I just have to get used to putting them on when I get up, wearing them all day, except when swimming and showering, then put them away before I go to bed at night.

I immediately started hearing things better than before. I could actually HEAR my husband, which I don't think I've ever really heard him the way I'm hearing him now. And, as he said, he'll have to watch what he says now since I'm wearing them.

I also noticed the rustling of papers, and other small things that prior to wearing the aides, I never heard, or they were so quiet that I didn't notice them.

So, this afternoon, after we got home from the doctor, I decided to take my first real test: watching TV. As my TV can get pretty loud, pre-aides, the sound has usually been as high as 30-31 on my meter. Now, I can safely listen to the TV at 18 or 20 with the furnace on. Sitting in my dining room, I am able to hear conversations going on outside.

I will have to get used to wearing them, for the sound and comfort. So far so good. I know I've got a small headache right now. I'll take some aspirins later for it to go away. I know the headache is also because of the extraneous sounds.

I'll get a picture of them later (and me wearing them) to show you how small they are. Not sure if it will help with my vertigo, but will DEFINITELY help with the hearing loss, which appears to be hereditary.

With that, I gotta go. Gotta get Rob up and go to mom's and dad's to pick up half pint. She has school tomorrow.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

3 comments:

Miki said...

Congrats on the hearing aides! I have heard that the aides magnify EVERYTHING! That is part of the reason that the older folks don't like to wear them, it isn't just the spoken word that gets amplified, it is as you say, the rustling of paper, the furnace, the cars going by in the street etc. I am glad that you are enjoying the sounds that you previously weren't able to hear, it must be wonderful! Love the new template too. I am not this technologically advanced as to be able to get a template from somewhere else and place it on my blog. Heck, I can't even make links! I have tried and tried on that one, but to no avail. Ig uess it is jus little old fashioned me, techno impaired, and happy!

Cupcake Blonde said...

I am so excited for you! This is going to affect your life, in a good way, forever. Welcome to the wonderful world of hearing a pin drop! But you ahve the best of both worlds...if someoen is annoying you with their incessant chatter you can literally turn them off. :)

Lynda said...

I read this post last night, but had trouble commenting. First off, I would never guess you wore a hearing aide. That is awesome that you can hear things so much better now.

It is amazing what they can do with technology now a days.