Thursday, February 08, 2007

Why I Like to Play Music Over and Over...

This seemed like a good topic to write about. I read on certain blogs how today's current pop culture consists of the same three cords, they can't write worth a darned, etc. Some of today's music is pretty much crap to me. However, I do find that some of today's music is very good. Just because YOU don't like today's music doesn't mean that someone else doesn't. You can't push your views on someone else just because YOU don't like the music. Case in point, I was reading someone's blog about CD prices. I agree with the entire rant he did about how pricing has remained relatively the same over the past 10-20 years, with little increase in prices. However, a comment on the post goes off on a tangent about how today's music sucks.

At first, I didn't want to post the comment, but I think I will, along with the post:

(go ahead and jump over this whole section as there's much MORE below it)
Nice try, RIAA
There is apparently a page on the RIAA site that talks about the cost of a CD. The point seems to be to defend the prices out on the market, which has been somewhat flat since CDs were introduced in 1983.While there is some good information on their
page, there is also some silliness as well:

Clearly there are many costs associated with producing a CD, and despite these costs the price of recorded music to consumers has fallen dramatically since CDs were first introduced in 1983. Between 1983 and 1996, the average price of a CD fell by more than 40%. Over this same period of time, consumer prices (measured by the Consumer Price Index, or CPI) rose nearly 60%. If CD prices had risen at the same rate as consumer prices over this period, the average retail price of a CD in 1996 would have been $33.86 instead of $12.75. While the price of CDs has fallen, the amount of music provided on a typical CD has increased substantially, along with higher quality in terms of fidelity, durability, ease of use, and range of choices, including multi-media material, such as music videos, interviews and discographies. Content of this type often requires considerable production expense and adds a whole new dimension that goes beyond conventional audio.Wait, are you guys claiming that CDs should cost MORE? That, we should be thankful that CDs are so darn cheap?Also, they are pimping their "multi-media" features on their CDs. Well, I buy CDs for the music. Since I play my music on computers, most of this multi-media stuff is getting in my way, since I either have to disable autoload, or close whatever crap decides to open when I put a CD in.

And I'm not even talking about all the attempts of copy protection that prevents me from actually listening to the music on my computer. In that way, CDs have become LESS functional.

And here's the comment:

Idiots. Assuming the price of a new technological toy should rise instead of fall is plain ridiculous. As new tech toys get mainstreamed and their production streamlined, prices do tend to fall, particularly as they compete with newer tech toys (like iPods and downloaded music). The CPI has nothing whatsoever to do with that. That's like saying that we should be paying more for a videotape than a DVD, because the technology's been out longer and the CPI has risen more since it was developed. Improved functionality might be an argument, if it weren't competing with technology that's even MORE functional than the most functional CD. Besides which, all the bells and whistles on the "new" CDs are irrelevant if the content is crap. The CD could show holographic images and emit laser rays at my enemies and fetch me coffee, but if it's playing Latest Interchangeable Pop Music Icon Who Can't Sing Worth A Damn, Play More Than Three Guitar Chords, Or Write Non-Trite, Coherent Lyrics Involving More Than Five Words And Three Notes But Wants You All To Know How Emo/Sexy/Loud/Rude/Whiny/Horny He/She Is, it's worthless crap. (Although, I dunno. Laser rays and coffee-fetching might be worth it, if I don't have to actually listen to the music.)

I agree with the comment, until the point where it rants about current music. Everyone's gotta remember, music these days is more than just "the music." Music these days is about technology and music and BUSINESS. Just about everything these days is about BUSINESS and how BUSINESS can make money and PROFIT. Being practical and logical, that's what I see.

But, I went on a HUGE tangent. I saw this, and originally, this is why I chose this topic to write about. However, this is not the information I wanted to talk about at all. I've said it and I'm happy that I said it though.

My purpose about this post deals with my ears and music at large. I am a 35-year-old mom and full-time student (okay 3/4 time student, but who's counting the credits). I grew up in the 80's and loved all of the music from that time. Every time I can get my hands on something that I don't have of 80's, I relish in the fact that I have it. And, even though I don't play musical instruments, I did in the past and understand how to basically read sheet music. So, I have some of this too.

I read on my regular blogs how people, in general, should listen to more new music, and not to listen again and again to the same stuff over and over. For me, I am listening to my music over and over for a purpose. As some of you know, I went to my ear doctor this week. Come the 19th, I will be meeting with an audiologist, to discuss hearing aids as I am losing my hearing. For me, I am listening to this music, not only because I enjoy it, but I also am trying to remember the music part of the song. At some point, but hopefully not in the near future, I will go deaf. Once that happens, or to the point that I cannot hear my music, I will want to have the music memories in my brain. When other people are actually HEARING the music, I will remember what they are hearing and be able to share in the experience.

I have an iPod, as most of you know. But, I do not have satellite radio. Rob and I together looked at the options and decided it wasn't for us. First, I'm not PAYING for radio. to me, that's stupid. Plus, I've got my iPod. All of the music I've got is plenty for me to listen to. Plus, I enjoy everyday radio, the 100% commerical filled radio stations that I've got here in Cleveland. Plus, with the location of my home and travel, I can get music from as far away as Canton to the south and Detroit/Canada to the North, and everything in between. So, my options are large.

Plus, even though 80's music is my THANG, I also listen to country. Again, my options for iPod or radio are increased even more. Finally, because I enjoy listening to music my mom listens to (yep, I enjoy her stuff too), there's EVEN more options. Recently, I just acquired MANY albums from the rock group, Rush. My love affair shared with me Rush, which I had heard a song or two from them, that was popular at the time. But, ever since, I've been wanting more. Minus 2 in the early days and about 5 or 6 of their most recent, I've got their entire discography. This makes me so excited. I just have to get the music into my iTunes and onto my iPod. I've got a 20GB player, but only half full. Can you believe it? Plus, I've still got a couple dozen albums to put in from my CD collection.

Also, with all this music going on, I enjoy the fact that I can get inspiration from the songs to write my poetry. With most of my days being mundane, I have to get inspiration somewhere.

Plus, as you've all read, my ALL-TIME favorite artist is Reba McEntire. Yeah, say what you will, but she has a good business-sense and enjoyable music. I love singing with her (nope, you'll NEVER see me on Idol), and do it as often as I can.

With all this said, I'm going to close now. Hope it's not too long.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well it was long, but it was heart felt and that is all that matters. I don't think you will go totally deaf, I think you will be just like mom. And she needs hearing aids even more than you do, but they can't afford them.

Cupcake Blonde said...

This wa s agtreat post and you made some excellent points. I agree paying for satelite radio seems silly to me. I don't listen to the radio enough to care. I mostly listen to CDs, my iPod or books on CD. I like it when I can control the music more to my liking...cause, well, I'm a control freak!