Thursday, July 06, 2006

How Patches Adopted Us

In our home, which is now not new after a year of living here, we were adopted by a little kitty. I have since come to find out she is a "calico," which means she is black, white, and orange. She showed up at our front door the first week of May. Here in Northeast Ohio, the weather can be quite crazy. Even now in July, our in house temperature was 69 degrees because it was so cool outside. Anyway, it was down to freezing. The first night, she slept behind our hedges that line our front door. Every time Rob went out to smoke (yes ladies, he smokes, but has never smoked in the house, only outside), this little kitty would follow him. She was so loving. The next day, while waiting with Cassi to catch the bus, the kitty showed up again. She was trying so hard to get into the house.

We already had one cat in the house. So, with good conscience, I couldn't just let her be outside, and not get some food. She obviously hadn't eaten in a few days. I took a paper plate full of dry food and a bowl of water out. She ate half of the food at the first sitting.

She kept trying to get in. When she did, she found a place to curl up and sleep. We had (just gave to our camper friends) a "little girl couch" which can also be called a "chair and a half" where she found a spot and slept all day. The poor, tired thing was soooo tired. She must have been booted out of her home. So, Cassi and I adopted her. Rob didn't know we brought her in yet. We have this blue couch (have had it since 1996, before meeting Rob), she was sleeping on top of the couch and half hanging off. Rob sat down and looked at the cat. He says, "Charlie needs to watch or she'll fall off." I reply to him, "That's not Charlie." He had to look closely at the kitty to see that it wasn't her. You see, Charlie is also a calico. The only difference is that the new kitty had a larger white tip on her tail. Cassi and I named her Patches.

Over the past few weeks, I noticed that Patches got fat quickly. I just figured it was because she was eating so much here. Our home has a full-size basement, where their litter pan lives. There are also bowls of water and dry food, along with a set of bowls in the kitchen.

Come the night of my 2 finals and manuscript and audio CDs, she decides she is going to hibernate under our computer desk. We tried to get her to stay in a box, but it didn't work. Rob says, "She's pregnant." We got her out of the room so that I could complete what I wanted for the night and get the room closed. That's all we needed was to have babies next to computers.

So, I ended up not getting to bed until 3am. With all the stuff going on that night, I just couldn't sleep, another dose of insomnia. At 5am, Cassi comes running in, "The cats are fighting." After 2 hours of sleep, I, feeling very drugged, get up and go into her room. Cassi had slept that night on her floor in her Disney Princess indoor play tent. As I walk into the room, I hear a bunch of "mews" coming from the tent. It appeared that Patches decided to have her babies in the tent, WITH CASSI IN IT!

So, at 5am, two babies were born, at 6:30 a third, and 9am the last. Our family of 5 just went to a family of 9! If anyone in the area is looking for a kitten, we'll be ready to adopt them in 7 weeks (since they're a week old today). Here is a picture of the babies drinking.


She's so good with her babies. We are not going to name them. I don't think it will be fair for Cassi to name them, only to adopt them away. They will all be litter trained before being adopted.

Through all of this, Charlie has been very good. On the first day of the births, Charlie went to the room and hissed a little. But, other than that, nothing.

I'll add more photos as they grow.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those kittens are soooo cute I wish I could have one of my own!