Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Far TOO Many Cables

Okay. My life is filled with WAY TOO MANY technology cables. Right now, I'm working on my laptop at my dining room table (that was inherited when we bought the house). Anyway, I've got a USB keyboard attached to the computer, along with a USB mouse. Right now, I'm working to add my Palm directly to my laptop so I can keep it updated from here. Since I've been using my laptop the majority of the time, some of the stuff I'm doing will be managed through here.

So, I scoured the house, in search of a USB cable to plug into the Palm. Round the house and back to find it sitting right on my table, next to my laptop, but under my cell phone power cable.

I just had to take a 5 minute break to flip cupcakes. Yep, I'm doing my suburban "thing" this afternoon. I picked up Cassi at lunch from her summer school. It's a reading program to help the kids remain interested in school. I had a chance to sit with her teacher. Cassi said on Monday and Tuesday they were having a party tomorrow. So, I asked to confirm this. Classes already started, but tomorrow they are having their "half way through school" party. This afternoon, I am making a couple dozen cupcakes for the party. We'll bring them tomorrow morning to class.

Rob and I once thought that, even though we have a kid, we can still keep our own personal life. NOT HAPPENING. Yes, in the beginning, we were able to remain active and take her with us. Now, that she's 6, she wants just an active a life as we did. Also, because Rob works nights, I don't get out much. That's going to change as I am looking for dance classes for her to attend. Marie, the 100% best sister in the world, has offered to pay for them. So, by keeping her active, I'm working to keep me active. Plus, if I get this job, I'll be able to get back out into the adult world. There's a woman around the corner who babysits, where Cassi will be able to go.

So, this afternoon is pretty Suburban for me. Initially, when I first moved to Cleveland, I was so scared of a life like this. I remember, at least until I was in 4th grade, mom stayed home with us. But, as soon as she was able to go to work, off she went. I remember when I got older that dad was always working. So, when I had an opportunity to have a relationship that might have turned me "suburban," I was deathly afraid of it. But, since being laid off from Ernst & Young, and having a child, it's turned out to not being so bad. Yes, I miss the adult, career conversations I had with friends in my past career, but also know that now, it's not just me I have to take care of. I have to look out for me, my child, and my husband now. My focus has changed. Sometimes, I wonder if I should have had this epiphany a long time ago.

Okay. Another break. The cupcakes are now done. Now, just to have them cool off so I can frost them. Back to my eportfolio to finish for next week.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

No comments: