Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Post #96, for 1996!

This was the last time I had heard or saw my ex. This all changed on Sunday.

Sunday, Rob and I travelled to Grove City, PA to meet up with my ex and his wife, along with his new son.

A little background. Back in June, on the last day of my summer classes, AND on the day momma had her kittens, he PM'd me in a message board site about home theaters. He had said that his wife suggested that we connect back up. Because she had a good relationship with her ex, she thought the same of us.

So, he and I have been communicating since through email, and now his comments to my posts and my comments on his blog. The whole time, he had said that they would be in the area, in western PA in August, but not when. To my surprise, he emailed me on Thursday that they would be in PA this week. He gave me both of their cell phones, which I only used his. No reason to use both.

I called him to let him know I had the number, etc. He still wasn't sure about which day to get together because he wanted to do it in conjunction to a group outing they were doing with friends who would be at their camping, something called Pennsic. From what I gather, Pennsic is a Medieval War. This appears to be a reinactment of that.

So, he called me on Saturday, letting me know that Sunday was the day they were going to have their outing. I had been thinking, since Cassi was at Pa's, Sunday would be a good day if they were available. He lets me know of a restaurant called, Hoss's that we would meet at. Hoss's is like a Ponderosa Steak House.

Sunday, Rob and I drive out to PA. We were going to Grove City. Dinner was at 5, but we got there at 3. I figured it would give us time to walk through the Outlet Park, which is LARGER than our outlet park in Lodi, OH (same company owns both properties). While there, we find a twinkie maker, popsicle makers, and freeze-able drinking glasses. Once we were done, we head over to the restaurant, which happens to be right across the street from the outlet mall.

It was quarter to 5 and we were the first ones there. Now mind you, since having Cassi, I have been late for ALMOST everything. When I don't have her, I seem to get back on my ALWAYS early track.

So, I call. They are on their way and will be there shortly. After coming home and looking up the campground they are staying at, it looks like they are about 15 minutes south of the outlet mall.

They meet us in the restaurant. He walks in first to which I give him a HUGE hug. She walks in after. I give her a hug and introduce both of them to Rob, my husband. He's been SO good through all of this. We had already checked out the menu for our dinner choices. Once ordering, I am lucky enough to realize that on one end of the table, there's enough room to sit across from them. YEAH!

They tried to introduce us to the rest of their group. As I told them, not that I'm being rude, but I probably wouldn't remember any of them after the dinner. Guess what? I don't remember anyone's names. They didn't really socialize with us anyway. Not a huge loss for me. I'll remember faces, but not names.

So, we ate dinner and had a chance to talk. Rob was having a queezy stomach and decided to go out for a smoke and a phone call. Rob is a smoker, but has barely EVER smoked at the table in a restaurant, which I love! So, Rob is outside for quite a while. He asks me what happened to Rob. Was he okay? I told him that Rob was just out having a cigarette. I turn around and find that Rob has come back into the restaurant. I walk over and hug him, ask him if he's okay. He says he had a smoke and called his girl.

I say to him, "Oh, you called Cassi."

"Nope, I called Roz." You see, Roz is the lady who works with Rob and the Cleveland Clinic. She is the RN on his nursing team for their group of patients. After he gets back, he asks me if Rob is okay. Last year, Roz had a kidney transplant. She had to be admitted to the hospital last week because her body was rejecting the kidney. Rob called her to make sure everything was going.

"Oh, he just called his girlfriend." I say to him. If I was looking correctly, I think he was shocked at what I said. Yes, you all. I am VERY much a smart-ass! I've talked with Roz a few times. I thinks she's a cool lady. I haven't had the opportunity to meet her, but I will soon. Then, I explain to him Rob's situation at work. Basically, he has had the luck of finding the good people to work with, female or otherwise. She takes care of him at work and he takes care of her. Doesn't bother me at all.

All this time, it seems that she is at the other end of the table, with her other friends, who she will see all week, instead of sitting and chatting with us. Opinion on this: as you've read in the other posts, she may be afraid of me. I am a VERY outgoing person. I've felt SO much better since going back to school. Plus, I'm able to be ME in my classes, actively participating.

All of a sudden, she comes over, saying everyone is getting ready to leave. I have had a chance to have some small talk with him, but not enough I thought for the whole trip. I thought we might be able to spend some time together. So, they scoop up son and get him ready to leave. Upon leaving, she suggests that when we are in their neck of the woods, we are welcome there. That was very nice of her.

I really want to get to know her better.

He walks away, forgetting to say good-bye to me. She looks at me, looking at him. I motion to her to poke him. He looks at me and I get him to come say good-bye. He leans over and I hug him, LONG! Then, a second hug and tell him I still love 'em. I still do. I never wished him bad, just the timing was bad with our love affair. Rob was already in the car, waiting for me. I get to the car, only to realize I needed to potty. (didn't go the entire time in the restaurant)

So, I go back in and come back out. We get ready to leave. Come to realize they had parked directly in front of us in the parking lot.

On the way home, Rob has me call Roz to see how she's doing. I tell her what happened during the day. I told her a little about him. She says to me, "Well, besides your husband, maybe you've just reconnected with your best friend who will be there for the rest of your life."

I would definitely LOVE that opportunity.

My impression of the day:
  1. Maybe the get together connecting with their outing wasn't a good idea. I spent 2 hours driving to see them.
  2. We should have gotten together on a separate day when we could spend more time together.
  3. Don't ever feel intimidated by me. I'm me. That's it. I do tend to come on strong, and sometimes don't realize it.
  4. I would have loved some "private" time with him to talk.
  5. Rob just ROCKS! He came with me when he didn't have to. No wonder why I love him.

So, we went home and got here about 9pm. I did love spending some time with them, but wanted more. Guess that's how it was with our love affair. I wanted more than I could get. Now, I can't wait to talk with him, even through email, just to get his impression of the event.

Hmmm. Maybe that's just me. I always want more than I can get! Okay, so call me human.

That's it for now.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. 8/18/06 - Update: Forgot to mention. I had been talking for a few days how I needed to shave (yep, legs and armpits). That Sunday morning, I realized quickly that I had to "de-hair" because I was wearing shorts. As Rob said, "Oh, so you shave for him and not me, eh?" Yep, I sure did!

P.S. 8/22/06 - Update: Also forgot to mention this. Rob bought me this GEORGOUS diamond ring to take the place of my simple wedding band. I am so hyper about it that I hardly ever wear it. Because of the work I do on computers, the ring tends to make my hands even more sore than without it. So, every time we go somewhere, and I don't wear my ring, Rob says, (for adults only), that I'm being a slut! Okay. Works for me. But, I also say the same thing to him. It occurred to me once we got to PA that I wasn't wearing my ring. Oh, well. I was slut that day! But, so was he!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad you had a good day, but to me the whole thing seems a little strange! But that's just me!

Cathy said...

So, since when did you know me as "normal"?

Cathy said...

Also, remember, our "love affair" as I have now decided to call it, was always long-distance.