Monday, August 14, 2006

Intimidated:

1. persuade or dissuade by frightening: to persuade somebody to do something or dissuade somebody from doing something by frightening him or her, for example, by means of violence or blackmail

2. daunt: to create a feeling of fear, awe, or inadequacy in somebody

Have you ever been told that someone was intimidated by you?

This was the first time in my life that someone told me this. I think the second definition might fit why. Not naming names, but someone in my life’s told me their wife felt this way about me. I wonder if she thought it was because I’m such a strong-willed person. I am very outgoing. Also, as you have read on this blog, I’m saying it the way it should be said. Ever since my being laid off from E&Y, I’ve kind of become intraverted. I’ve been afraid to tell people what I think. I’ve decided not to be that way anymore.

Secretly, I’m wondering if there are feelings of inadequacy since my friend and I were very close for a long time. But, that was a long time ago. If you are secure in your relationship, you shouldn’t be concerned with someone who might be stronger than you. Plus, I have a theory, but this is one time I’ll keep my tongue. Some of you might know what that is since, as you can imagine from reading, my friend is a man.

Okay. Just thought I would throw this question out among friends. If you can respond to the question, I would love to read your comments.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

2 comments:

StarlitEve said...

Of course a woman can't handle a woman from her man's past. Well, some can, but I would think very few. And if that woman happens to be a very strongly personalitied lady, such as yourself, the chances of the ex being able to handle it are diminished even more.

The question is, however, what does your male friend (presumeably the one described a few entries previous) expect you to do about it? It is in no way your fault that his wife found you threatening, and in fact, it probably has more to do with her and inadequacies she already feels.

Anyway, it's kinda to be expected when it comes to old flames/close friends and new spouses/significant others, at least in my experience.

Lucky for me I'm a crazy loud and friendly gal who has really not been intimidated by many people, so bring on the exes and old close friends! :)

Cathy said...

Jewels, you're so COOL! I'll talk more about this in another post about my day on Sunday because I caught up with him and his wife. The majority of the time we were together, she was with her other friends. We met them with a group of their friends for dinner.

I'll DEFINITELY miss you around the campus in a few weeks. MUST do lunch on a Saturday. Will come out your way to catch up!