Sunday, April 22, 2007

Today's Carnival and the Elyria Levy Issue #7

Today, Sunday, the Elyria Schools had a carnival in support of the Levy Issue. The school is the WORST high school in the state of Ohio right now. If the voters will pass a levy, for 3.3 million dollars, the state has promised to pay for 40% of the cost of building a new high school, which is 24 million dollars.

How can the voters of this city say no to something like this? For me, my house is valued at $100k. This means my property taxes will go up approximatley $9 per month. I can handle that. What I see is the opporutnity this city and school system has for becoming a desirable city to live. People will see that a new high school is being built and will want to move here for the opportunity for their kids to attend.

I can imagine that technology will be included in the building of this school. Just as other "ring" suburbs of Cleveland are growing by leaps and bounds, this city could become a "wanted" city too. Yes, this means property taxes will go up because families want to live here. But, this also means opporutnity for additional jobs, etc.

Rob and I have been making the investment in our home because we know that we will be here for a while. If my daughter gets a new high school, I would more than welcome staying here until she graduates. We have been very proactive in her learning and will continue to do so.

Every parent should be just as proactive in wanting the best for their kids. With this levy passing, they will.

Okay, that' s it for me on this subject. Leave comments and I'll respond in kind.

Thanks!

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Lynda said...

I hope you get your new school. I bet it would help a lot.