Sunday, April 22, 2007

My Take on the Shootings at Virginia Tech

Okay. I wanted to wait the week out before putting in my two cents on this whole tragedy of the shootings at Virginia Tech.

First off, I believe there has been way too much media coverage of the shooter. At this point in time, there should be more focus on the victims. I agree with the majority of people who said that video should have never been shown. I think NBC was in error in showing the video. After the damage was done, the company gave the shooter his "15 minutes of fame," for three days straight. I liked what one news anchor at our Fox station said. "We will only show the video again if we believe there to be news-worthiness to show it." or something like that.

This was a HUGE tragedy that could have been averted. Don't the professionals know when something is wrong? I believe the creative writing professors REALLY know their students, especially those who decide to CONTINUALLY write about death and destruction in their English classes. AND, it seems like it's someone's fault for pushing the concern of those professors aside.

Then, to top it off, I hear on the news last night that the guy was buying ammo clips from eBay. I'm sorry. That's where I draw the line on what should be for sale on eBay. Because of the gun control isssues, there should be a "no sale" for these types of things on eBay. I love doing my shopping on eBay and have also sold items there in the past. And, I've always said that, if you can think of it, it's on eBay. But, someone has to decide what SHOULDN'T BE sold there. Hmmm? I think, the President of eBay should do so!

I'm sorry about being so negative. As my sister, Marie, has said, which I agree, I am not a very emotional person. I am definitely a very logical thinker. Don't know when this happened. But, sometimes I think, if I become emotional, I might spiral down into a dark depression that I can't get out.

Yes, I suffer from depression, but realize if I just DEAL with it, I can handle it. And, unlike Mr. Shooter (sorry not going to use his name), I'm not going to go out and KILL innocent people. It seems like his parents had problems that got pushed to him, but not sure. Of course, everyone will speculate, because nothing concrete will ever come from it.

But, I do see lawsuits coming from this, especially toward the college for not protecting the students better. It appears that the law is protecting the wrong person (or people), those who hurt the innocent, as in this case.

Okay. With that said, I'm going to close this. This was a MAJOR tragedy. It will take a long time to recover, but those involved will.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

3 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

I still can't believe this all happened. It was such a senseless tragedy and could have been prevented. All the warning signs were there.

Miki said...

I agree with bothof you, a sensless tradgedy. Sad, unnerving and terrible. Our society has come to this? I am still unnerved and cannot watch or listen or read in the news any more about it. I cry over it and I get stomach pangs!

On a lighter note, I am back up an d running. Our computer glitches turned into leaving the computer with a repair man and losing it for a week. But now, it seems to be fixed and I am glad to be back in the "loop." I wasn't ignoring you Cathy, I was just unavailable. I will catch up on the previous posts of yours soon.

Lynda said...

I totally agree with you about the shooter. The media gave has given him the attention he wanted. It should stop already.