Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sowing the Seeds of Love

The planting of our first tree together.

On Tuesday, we planted our first tree together. Yes, there is a story behind this one statement. Here goes:

Monday, I went to school, and I had to go early for a meeting with my professor. Rob had to get up to get Cassi. Little did I know what he had in store. Because the weather was nice, Rob cut the grass for our front yard. For those of you who have seen our property layout, our house is situated on a small corner lot. Our house is a long ranch with a garage. So, when you look at our house, there' s no real "front" yard or "back" yard. There's a yard that's to the right of the house, that I call the "front" yard. There's a yard to the left of the house that I call the "back" yard.

In the front yard, there was a Yucca plant. The thing was huge and UGLY. Rob had been saying since last fall that he wanted the thing gone. But, didn't say what he wanted to replace it. Maybe flowers, but little else in the discussion.

Monday, I tried chatting with him in class, but didn't get responses. I called on the way home from work to no reply call.

Hmmm! What was going on? I got home to all three garbage cans FULL with roots and leaves and things from the front yard. He said he finally dug up the nasty thing. It was a good thing because somewher along the way, someone dropped a hyperdermic needle (with the needle still in it) into the plant. LOVELY! He had almost poked it.

There was garbage and other things in the plant too. We actually didn't know what kind of plant it was until he came across the original nursery tag with the name. There was more root to come out, but Rob was tired.

Tuesday, we spent the day together, driving from one nursery to another, looking for something to put in this place. He was thinking a tree. MMM! Sounded like a good idea. But what kind of tree? We started at Pettiti Garden Center. This is the Microsoft of Garden Centers in this area, taking over everywhere. The prices were high and no one was available to ask questions. After going to two other places and having lunch, we ended up at Home Depot. Rob stopped at the cashier who was working outside. We had our station wagon and asked the girl to ask the garden employee if they had anything that we could wrap around the base of the tree (to cover the pot and dirt) so the dirt wouldn't fall out onto my car.

We waited and waited and waited. No one came. I went and looked at other trees to see which one I liked best. Oh, didn't I tell you? At the third place, the employee was very nice and helped us decide what type of tree would work in that part of our yard. The type? A white flowering, weeping cherry tree.

At Home Depot, I went back to the cashier. She told me the garden guy said they didn't have anything, but would come to help. NOT AT ALL! Rob was so fed up at this point. And, because I was a former employee of Home Depot, know for A FACT, they have shrink wrap to cover the bottom. They get shipments in every night, where the guys have to wrap the stuff they put up in the rafters.

Went to the front desk. It took almost 10 minutes for a manger to walk out. He ended up helping us get the tree, covering it and getting it paid for. Rob ended up having to sit in the back of the wagon, with my driving to get it home.

Rob finished cleaning up the hole and digging out where the tree would go. We put the tree, with pot into the hole. Rob picked up the pot and smacked at it. As he was pulling the tree out, I was pulling the pot down and out of the way.

We planted our first tree. Then, I started get weepy and started thinking in terms of poetry what this event was too us. That's when the title of this post popped into my head. The title is the title of a song from Tears for Fears from the 80's.

With love and caring, we planted our first tree. As long as it will have us, we will care for it and watch it grow. We did this together. I feel this was a perfect act of love for us.

After, while I was at my Tech Writing class. Oh, yeah. I still had class Tuesday night. We turned in our major term papers. Rob and I texted each other during class. I told him thank you for including me in the event. I really enjoyed working with him to plant the tree. He enjoyed it too. We haven't had good events like this recently.

I'm glad we did it!

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Cupcake Blonde said...

This was such a wonderful post and a great momentous event. I can't wait to see pictures of your new family tree.