Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Today and Work...

Just came back from picking up some groceries and din-din. We were basically completely out of meat. Luckily, Giant Eagle had the steaks and roasts on sale for BOGO (buy one get one free). So, we picked up the big packs that had 3 steaks per pack and 4 packs were picked up.

Today started slow, but I was up at 7. I completed my poetry homework for today. I had a chapter to read from a poetry analysis book. Even though I read it 3 times, it still just didn't sink in. It could be possible that it's because I had never read this poet before, Gwendolyn Brooks. This means because I've never read her, I am unfamiliar with how she writes and what she writes. Then, for those of us in class who brought poems, we got to read them. I have been a little disappointed because the past few times I've brought poems, I've been able to read them, but have not had my poems workshopped like the other classmates.

Nuala had 3 professors in class today. She was having a peer review today. I really wanted to sound like I knew something, but I was so "not with it" that I thought I sounded goofy.

In other news, I entered a creative writing contest. The English department awards up to $3000 worth of prizes to those who enter. The money goes into our school account as scholarship money. Nuala is one of the judges. Any money would be good, even money for textbooks in the fall.

In the fall, I'm scheduled for 3 classes. I've got 7 classes left for my degree. Whoo Hoo! So, this definitely means next year will be full-time. So, in the fall, I've got an English class, and Anthropolgy class (gen ed requirement), and an Urban Studies class (professional writing requirement). I can't wait to take the UST class. It is a class in grant writing and proposal development. Yes, a writing class. And, to top it off, the class happens on Saturdays. But, I've been trying to get into this class since I started last year. So, when I graduate, I'll have a BA in English and a Professional Writing Certificate.

Cool, eh?

For next week, I've got to make sure that my journal is completed and up to date for tech writing, along with having my term paper completed. Plus, for the rest of my time with tech writing, I've got my resume to turn in and an application letter to write. Plus, I need to put together and present an oral presentation based on my term paper.

So, this weekend will be VERY busy for me. Also, this weekend, I'm going to try a poetry writing fest to write up my last 7 poem forms. This way, they'll be done and I can do free verse writing for the rest of the time. Just like last summer, I'll be taking everyone's photo for the class manuscript, producing the class manuscript, and recording everyone for an audio CD. Then, for the last week of class, I'll get everything back to everyone. Also, I've got a 35 line poem to memorize for my final.

But, for now, I'm going to relax for the rest of the night. Maybe do some laundry. Everyone else is already in bed. Rob worked a double last night (3pm until 7:30am this morning). Cassi spent the night with Dan & Alexis. They've invited her back for the day tomorrow. Plus, tomorrow, Cassi wants her hair to be cut.

I'm watching Glenn Beck talk show. I like watching him and Nancy Grace on Headline News Channel.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Good luck with the writing class. Do you think she doesn't feel your work needs to be workshopped, that it is great as it is?

Good luck with school next year too!