Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Dizzy-Girl Update

Went to the doctor. She had me do all these, what I like to call, I've been drinking and driving balancing tests. The touch you finger to your nose, walk in a straight line, etc. For me, since of course, you KNOW that I haven't drank a drop, the tests are to see if there's a disconnect between what is being said to me and my brain actually telling my body parts to DO IT.

She checked in my ears and throat. OK, no tonsils. They've been out since 1986 and have not grown back (as I'm aware some tonsils have been known to grow back). There is fluid behind my right ear drum. Ack! This means an inner ear infection. Thanks, Vegas Princess, you hit the nail on the head.

When she had me do the stand-up tests, she had me shut my eyes. As I was standing there, I could feel myself falling backwards. I heard Rob's boots slam on the floor to jump to grab me. And, the walk one foot in front of the other had the same results. I started to fall to the right.

But, I'm still dizzy (as my smart-ass hubby calls me and ex-blond as I had blond hair early in life). The doctor prescribed me to continue to use my Clarinex. She also put me back on Flonase. It's a nose spray for allergies that will help get rid of the fluid behind my ear drum. And, she prescribed for me an anti-dizzy drug. The drug works like Benedryl. If you get sleepy with Benedryl, which I do, you will most likely get sleepy with this. Also, until later when I am ready for bed, and can get at least 8 hours sleep, I'm not going to take the medicine. That means Cassi and I will be in bed early.

So, no class this evening. I called Mary, my professor, to let her know what was going on. She agreed that I shouldn't drive, especially since the weather is getting worse again here. She told me she had my homework in her email. I explained a little of what I did, making sure I understood the assignment. She's also going to email me back this evening or tomorrow our project for next week.

So, I'm still dizzy. For a long-term treatment issue, we discussed with her the issues I've had with my hearing. She agreed that I should see an ENT again. It's been since 2003, I think, that was the last time I saw the doctor. Next week, I'll be seeing a Cleveland Clinic ENT. We'll see how it goes.

Okay. Going for now. I'm REALLY tired, but I've got to get some food cooked for Rob before he goes to work. Gotta love the man who works the night before your doctor's appointment, 7-7:30, comes home and sleeps until 10:30 (about 2 hours), gets up and drives you to the doctor, pharmacy, and lunch before going back to bed at 2pm, only to have to get up by 5:15 and go to work again for a second 7-7:30 shift the next night.

No wonder why I'm married to this guy for 10 years (almost)!

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you'll be feeling better soon! Did you get anti-biotics for the ear infection? I forgot to ask yesterday.

Miki said...

Hey,
hope all is going well with you now! Gosh, it must be very very insane to feel that way, I mean if you were drinking, well, that would have made it funny, but to just BE that way! hope that the meds work! THinking of you often

Cupcake Blonde said...

I'm glad you got it all figured out and hope you feel better soon.

Now if I could just get over my yearly cold that I am fighting everythign will be all good.