Monday, January 22, 2007

Poetry, the first workshop

Today, after chatting with Nuala before class, she made the suggestion that she wanted to hire me for the summer to work for her as her assistant. She would need to talk to the English Department to see if money was available, but wanted me to work for her. The reason is that I showed her all the stuff I had worked on yesterday for today's class. Even though I had 4 poems due for today, only 1 needed to be typed, duplicated, and ready for workshop. But, I showed her my journal, which I am keeping here, then transferring it to my Word document for printing and adding to the hard copy for when I turn it in in April.

One of the things I will be doing as her assistant is keeping her reminded of what was done during class. So, I figured, "What the Hell! I'll just start now." I just typed up my notes and emailed them to her. She didn't want me to do it now, but I told her I would add them to my journal as notes from the day's class. A good way to get started.

I was able to return the extra book I had. She doesn't know what happened, but the book in question was for the other creative writing class. But, I was able to get 2 of the 3 books left to get. If I don't get the final one, I'm not hurting as I've of 7 of the 8 for class.

Now, here's the write up from my email:

Nuala, I don't mind writing up a synopsis of what we are doing in class now. I'll just think of it as extra fodder for the journal. Plus, my blog friends love when I get so detailed about what I'm doing.

So, here goes:
1/22/2007

We started the class with signing the attendance sheet and filling out which poems we will memorize for the mid-term and final.

Then we were given handouts from Nuala for the phone and address list. We reviewed any errors for which Nuala will be revising and getting back on Wednesday. Delegation of duties were handed out for our class portfolio, CD, and art-stuff. Cathy (removed) and Jason Reed will be the Editors. Manuscript Art Editor will be Michelle Krivanek. Compilation and Distribution Editor will be Erin Bower. Recording & Audio Editors/CD Art Editors will be Cassi Armstrong and Rodney Lewallen.

Discussion went on concerning how we would do journaling for the semester. Nuala would like us to read one poem for an author per day and examine it. I call that breaking down the technology of the poem. We are to write journals 5 out of the 7 days each week. Nuala showed us the journaling she will be doing for the semester, which happens to be in 3 different places, a sketchbook, a binder, and her computer.

The class then broke into small groups and wrote poems in the acrostic format. We were to write about each other, then ourselves as time permitted. The "In the Manner of" poems were then brought out for further review. We were to look at the technical aspects of the poems, how many commas, periods, etc., along with number of stanzas, lines, overall punctuation, use of words. A close reading of the poem and what we notice as readers.

After some workshop time, we went around the room and read the poems we wrote in our groups. Then, the group handed out the poems written as homework for today. The "In the Manner of" poems had to have 4 of the six completed, but one typed, duplicated, and brought to class. Everyone passed out their poems to the group. Nine of the 11 students in class brought poems. Kisha and Mary Grace were not in class today.

We quickly read our poems that we will workshop on Wednesday. For Wednesday's class, we are to continue working on our 4 poems, bring in our acrostic typed up for workshop (with any changes), and write a Rimas. Come Wednesday, hopefully the 2 students who didn't bring their poems will do so.

So, that's what I have for this evening. Hope it's okay for the class. I would have sent this earlier, but after picking up Cassi, we got home at 7. I made dinner of home made Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli and got her off to bed. Now, I'm going to relax and get ready for bed myself. Tomorrow is a long one with extra writing for tomorrow's class.

Cathy
8^ )

So that's what happened to me this evening. I'm REALLY tired. It's 10pm now. I know Cassi is in bed and asleep. I've got my writing to do for tomorrow's class, which I will read and complete in the morning. Before bed this evening, I'm going to get my CRAP together completed for my poetry class.

Okay, here goes. I'm going to put my first two poems on my Creative Writing Blog now. Go look and give me your feedback. They have not been workshopped yet, so are in their first editions. They are "In the Manner of" where we were given 6 poems of which we had to write 4. I've got two done. One has a painting to go with it, but I'll have to add it after my laptop is up.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

No comments: