Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Life at this Household is NEVER Boring!

Because part of my poetry class is to journal every day about stuff that's going on, personal reflection, etc., here's mine.

I started out today by getting Cassi ready for school. We went to school early so she could turn in the money for her candy fundraiser. Every kid who sells 3 boxes of candy (52 items in each box), will have the opportunity to get a ride in a limousine AND lunch. Today, Cassi turned in money for boxes 2 and 3. She needs lots of thanking for Pa, Daddy, and Mommy. We've still got the last box to sell, but I need to get to my school during the day. I'll be bringing it with me to sell to my college classmates. Oh, and by the way, she got to spin a wheel 3 times, once for each box, where she got to earn prizes. She has won 1. a hand-held fan, 2. a "spy" earphone system, and 3. a battery-operated phone/calculator/alarm clock/clock/radio. Pretty good, eh?

I got home and made sure my homework was completed for today's tech writing class. But, first I made some cream of wheat cereal and a cup of cocoa. So, I got the paper together. Based on information given to us about wool, our goal was to write up a 1-2 page paper, using our layout skills to write the advantages/disadvantages of wearing wool. I started writing and layout. Then, I took a short nap and finished my writing.

This afternoon, Rob and I had a conference with Cassi's special ed teacher. She has auditory processing disorder, which gives her much trouble concentrating on what is being taught at a specific point in time. (Yes, we all have this difficulty.) For Cassi, the problem is exponentially worse. Example, they are sitting in a group being read a story. The teacher asks the kids questions for which Cassi cannot answer. A few hours later, they are doing something else. When questions are asked, Cassi then can answer the questions from the first story that was read, often hours before. Her response rate is very slow, like something is stopping her comprehension for stuff, like normal kids. So, she gets lots of extra homework, which I help her with every day, along with learning with 2 separate teachers. At this time, she is a little behind on her level of reading. However, and I was this way too, she is on the level, or even advanced for the math. Because her special ed class is a group of 1st and 2nd graders, she gets to learn math at the 1st and 2nd grade level.

This semester will definitely be difficult for me with all my writing and extra work with Cassi.

We got home and worked on her homework before I had to go to class. Because Tuesday night is the 6pm class, we got all the homework but reading done. The books she brought home I have to go talk to her teacher about in the morning. Because they are working on something called the Accelerated Reader program, where they read books for comprehension, then take tests on the comprehension, she has books she brings home. But, the book she brought home has already been read and tested on. The other book she brought home is more advanced than her level, which frustrated Rob. So, in the morning, I have to go and ask about the book and her reading level.

I went to school and came home. Before school, I ran a load of dishes in the washer. This evening, I put a second load in. Also, I've made a batch of banana pudding. After I finish writing this, I will go ahead and finish prepping the pudding with cookies, bananas, and cool whip. It's REALLY good. The pudding is banana flavored, not vanilla like most people use when making banana pudding.

I've got the presidential speech recording now. Almost couldn't record it because our electric decided to shut down at 8:58 pm. Hopefully it won't go out overnight. We'll be setting up a cell phone for a backup alarm in the morning.

Okay, got lots of stuff to do for poetry class for tomorrow, including another journal page regarding the poems I'm going to memorize for my mid-term and final.

Will chat again tomorrow.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

2 comments:

Ralph said...

After redaing that I'll certainly agree with you. Your household is not boring!
Ralph

Unknown said...

Let me know when you get a chance how the meeting went with Cassi's teacher regarding her reading.