Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Today...

Okay, lots and LOTS happened today. First, last night, I was so tired. Rob was working. Cassi went to bed at 9. She's been watching this Nikelodeon channel called GAS (Games and Sports). She's really enjoyed watching the game shows for kids. Things like DoubleDare 2000, etc. Anyway, I was really tired. I told her that she could watch the first show at 9, but at 9:30 her TV was to go off. At the same time, I was watching TV in my bed. But, I turned my TV off and fell asleep. At 9:30, I woke up and realized before I could shout, "Turn off your TV," that she was already asleep. So, I got up, walked over and turned off her TV.

I got back into bed and slept pretty soundly until 6:30 this morning. I guess I REALLY needed sleep. After getting up, I realized that, hmm, I think I needed that sleep. I look out the window and see SNOW. I knew it was going to be a bad day. Okay, so we didn't get a lot, but from what I saw, I knew the roads were going to be NASTY.

I took Cassi down to school and had to take myself to public transportation to get into Cleveland. Even though I don't have day classes, I still needed to get downtown this morning, while Cassi was at school. I had to: 1. get my bus pass (part of fall and spring tuition), 2. get reimbursed from last semester from the newspaper class (owed me $40 for the OSU trip), 3. get my parking pass (the whole reason I had to bus/train it to school because I couldn't park without the pass), and 4. get my books. So, it cost me $3.50 to get an all-day ride pass for the bus and train, but I ended up only using it to get down to school, not the return trip. When I stopped in the COM department's office to get my paperwork to finish the process of getting the money back they owed me, I turned in the office key card and memory stick that was given to me last semester to use with the news class. Since I'm not taking it this semester, no need for me to have it.

I ended up being all done by noon. On my way back, is a mall, called Tower City. I stopped in there to have lunch, then back on the train to go home. I cannot believe how BAD the roads were. The weather seemed to have lightened up. On my side of town, the west side of Cleveland, in the suburbs, we don't get as much snow as does downtown or the east side of the city/region. That area is called the SNOW BELT. Well, in the snow belt, they were getting hammered. We saw just about nothing. My trip home was very slow going until almost the county line. Driving 40 MPH was pretty good, considering the two (middle and right) lanes were the only ones being used.

But, I got home, with $255 in books, for which I'm still needing three more for my poetry class. Yep, I've got 10 books for my poetry class. But, all of the books cost the same as the TWO for my Technical Writing class.

After getting home, for all about two minutes, I dropped off books, picked up books, pottied and was off again. I had to stop by our local chocolatier. A company in Elyria who does fundraising. We are looking for a fundraiser with this company. The principal of the school is friends with the owners and told me to let them know she sent me to them. The school is looking for some "play goodies" for the classes, along with a portable basketball hoop. The total is about a grand. We have the money in our reserves to buy it, but want to do a fundraiser to make this money up. Would be good. Also, after spending for a new SMART Board and paying for our Santa's Secret Shop, we need a fundraiser. And, if anyone's wondering why I'm so into Cassi's school is the fact that I am now the Acting President. The official president had surgery with complications. So, being Vice, I'm seem to be in charge. I don't think Rob's liking it too much, but they really need someone who can take charge and "lead the troops."

Okay, went to her school, and had to do some balancing of the books, along with general PTO paperwork. I waited at school until Cassi was done. From there, we went to Pa's. Since my class starts at 6, I hung around at his place. Not a quiet time at all. While I was there, I had some din-din and helped Cassi with her homework.

Got to school. We got right into the work. No rest for the weary! I've already got homework for Thursday (reading and a writing assignment). Plus, the goal of my class is going to be a 20-page typed paper on a project that can use numbers, etc. The class is Advanced Expository Writing. This semester happens to be focusing on Technical Writing.

When I got to class, I was expecting 10 people TOPS for the class. Well, the room is FILLED. What I didn't know was that the class is composed of Undergrad and GRAD students. So, that's why they were only allowing so many undergrads to register.

She talks to us about the difference between technical writing and other forms of writing, specifically poetry. If you're taking poetry or any creative writing, you may have trouble taking this class too. But, after talking with me, she asking me what I have done in my past, she changed the comments she made to me. Because I told her I was doing both, she said that many creative writing people are good at technical writing. Plus, with my background, I might do well in the class. OK. We'll see how it goes. Here's my idea of topic (and I've got until mid-term to change if I want):

Because we just purchased a SMART Board for Cassi's school with the PTO, I wanted to do a technology-themed project. I'm looking at the trends in technology in the classroom, specifically K-12. How has it changed over the years, since about 1992? Has it helped students excel? How has it helped?

The goal of my project is that it has to include numbers. I think I can find lots of places to get numbers for this project. But, I've got a lot of research to do for a 20-page typed paper.

With that, I'm going to go for the night. I've got to relax a little before bed. Plus, I'm a little hungry. I'll see if I will eat (probably not though).

Will write tomorrow about my poetry class. I can't wait to see my professor because I haven't seen her since June!

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a really busy day! I think your idea is great for your paper! See if you can find numbers that show how much the kids test grades have improved if that is possible. I'll call you later tonight so we can start making plans for the weekend!