Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Cold Experience...

This evening, I got to school early. I brought my laptop along. I figured, since I'll get to school early, I can get some research done for my tech writing class. So, I fired up the computer and started my research. About 5:40, an alarm goes off in the building. I guess it's time to shut down my computer.

As I'm shutting down the computer, I am also sitting right in front of our location for the elevator. Because it is in a shaft, off of the main building, the steel doors SLAM shut. OK, this is definitely serious. I get my stuff together and put on my coat. It was at this point that all the students around me start for the stairwell.

Yep, we're going outside in the bitter cold because the alarm is going off. But, and this is what I hate about being at college, there's NO PA system to let us know what is going on. As we get outside of the building, again, because there's construction going on, there's no "location to get to" because of the fire alarm. No where did I see campus police, the fire department, Cleveland police, or anything.

I remember, when I worked for the community college, we had a fire alarm like that go off. We all had to GET OUT before the fire department would even go into the building to review it for approval to go back inside.

This NEVER happened at school. I even noticed at one of the stairwells, that the entrance was FILLED on the inside with students. Again, not once did the students LEAVE the building. There should have been some coordination, etc. Also, once the sound of the alarm stopped, we all went back into the building. The elevators worked, etc. But, for almost a half hour, the alarms started back up with sound and flashing lights. But, not once did we SEE any police or fire personnel.

But, finally, the alarm went off and everyone got back to school. We did notice on our floor, however, that a number of classes cancelled because of the alarm going off. Huh?

They REALLY need to change their way of thinking in regard to alarms and emergencies. There were so many college students outside, but not once did they think to go into another building for warmth, nor were they told they were too close to the building in question in case something REALLY was wrong.

OK. Had to vent. I was REALLY cold, but turned out OK.

Cathy
8^

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sucks!! In our building the fire alarm has gone off a few times and never once did anyone even get up from their chairs. We have so many false alarms, no one even seems to care anymore.

Cupcake Blonde said...

At our work the fire alarms will go off and no one leaves. We all just keep working. The one time we actually did have a fire (one of the lights caught a film and it started to smoke, but no real damage) they physically had to go all throughout the building and tell everyone to leave as the firemen came in!