Thursday, March 01, 2007

My Meeting with the Career Services Coordinator

Anita is a HOOT! I REALLY like her. I'm hoping that we can continue our friendship after I'm done school. Yes, I'm mentioning that now, even though I'll be in school for a while, but that time will go by FAST.

So, she was a little late because she had to give a presentation this morning before our meeting. No problem. I had to do my bills. That was the work I brought with me to do while I was waiting. The director of the department walked by. Because of the work I did for his department last semester (laid out ads in the newspaper), he directed me to work with Anita. So, I have a friendly relationship with him. He walks by and notices my checkbook out.

"Hey, if you're writing checks, I'll take one too!"

"Nope. No checks here. I do all my bills online. I might write 1-2 checks a month."

"Awww!" then laughs on his way back to his office.

So, first, she asked me about my experiences with the career fair that was last Friday. I told her the people at the National City Bank table were all RUDE. If they wanted to be the way they were, they shouldn't have come. She told me to apply to them inspite of the problem I had.

I explained to her about the wardrobe malfunction. Her eyes were wide, mouth open...

Then laughed. And agreed it was a good thing I had that jacket or my day would have been over to which I agreed completely.

I told her about my experiences with the Cleveland Clinic, NASA, MCPc, and PolyOne. She thinks I'm in a good area with all of them. I've got some work to do tomorrow. Then, I explained to her about the meeting with the folks at Hyland Software. I also showed her the email I sent to one of the recruiters I met back in November. She suggested to me to call them on Monday. If I get nothing then to move on and not even consider them. If they can't call you back, they're not worth my time.

She suggested to me to apply with all the big banks here, even doing customer service related jobs. Just something to get money and something to keep me busy. Also, she suggested this would be a good way to "get my foot in the door" and show them what an asset I can be to their company. I then showed her my hearing aides and asked about problems I might encounter doing jobs like customer service where I would be on a phone continually over the course of the day. She just told me to put on my applications that I would need to be considered with assistance because of my hearing issues. They can't not hire me because of my hearing problems.

She had brought something up to me that I had wondered all along. Because I have had problems getting a job, one of the theories I've had has been that I've got so much experience that recuiters are nervous by my experience. But, now that I'm getting my degree to help with that extensive experience, it should help.

She wants me to let her know who I apply to and where I apply to them. Because the school has a career Web site, I can apply to companies directly through them. If I get no answer, to immediately let her. She is bound and determined that I get a job for the summer.

She told me how these recruiters are calling and complaining that they are not getting good candidates from the college. Well, if they continue to say that, and I've applied, they're ready to sit on the phone with them and confront them. With my great GPA, which she laughed at when I told her it went down to 3.38, and all my experience, I should have no reason NOT to get a job.

She said to me that it dawned on her just after I left the career fair Friday that these recruiters might be threatened with my experience because I might have MORE experience than they have! You might think?

So, after being with her for 45 minutes, we closed up. I told her about my possible upcoming opportunities for additional technology education. I'm trying to get into a training class that will be held by Cassi school system on the use of the SMART Board. Because I once applied to train people how to use them, AND because her school is using them, it would benefit me and them to get trained, even if I have to pay to go to the training. I don't see the training happening before August. The bonus to them, or any other school would be if I learn to use the boards, I would be able to put it on my resume as experience. This would give me a better chance at substitute teaching positions, especially in a school system that uses the boards.

So, come tomorrow, I've got LOTS to do: 1. memorization, 2. job searching, 3. lunch with Cassi.

I'm gonna close now. I think I've said my peace for this evening, even though I didn't tell you about my weird dream this morning.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. Also, I told Anita how when I originally made the appointment, the girl taking the appointment told me I couldn't see Anita because of my major. I had to see (name here) who does English Majors. Well, I stopped this girl right in her tracks when I told her I'd been working with Anita for the past year and the department director, Paul Klein, told me to work with her. That shut the girl right up. I have the right to see whoever I want!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm soooo glad that you have a good counselor! That makes all the difference in the world! The girl I had at my school was great and she got me a job in 2 months!