Monday, March 26, 2007

Lots of Stuff, Little Time to Put in

This past week has been crazy. Yes, I'm still working on my paper. I had an opportunity for Professor Mary to see what I had written on Thursday at class. There were only 3 of us there with anything for her to see. All I needed to do was have her read, make some suggestions and get otta there. So, I was done in an hour. She asked me questions about stuff I still need to put in my paper. She asked me to explain the "how" the whiteboards work. So, I got into explaining examples and comparing to what a "regular" whiteboard does. She just looked at me. I know her mouth wasn't to the floor, but the thought was there. She couldn't believe how much these things do. Then, she was telling us how worn out she was from all the reading of papers she's been doing. Her "day job" is the director of the writing center. She told us about these students who have to do writing, but don't like it and talked about high school kids she's been working with who also don't like writing.

Well, I opened my trap and told her about my experiences in high school. What you might find funny: I HATED English in high school. It wasn't the fact that I didn't like to write or read; it was the fact that I didn't like to TOLD what to do. They said, "You will." And I said, "I won't." It wasn't until college that I really started enjoying English. My first year in college, way back in 1989 and at Drexel University, I really worked well with my English classes. The professor's put the classes in a different light. I wanted to do the work. They would say, "Ok. Don't forget, you'll want at least two drafts of your papers. Print the first one and edit it before turning in a final version." I NEVER did that. I always typed the paper up the night before it was due, first draft, printed and turned in. I NEVER edited my papers. But, I was always getting A's. Hmmm! This isn't so bad after all.

Again, she looked at my like she wanted to drop her mouth to the floor. So, she really liked my paper. And, it appears that my goal of two A's this semester will happen. Yes, Marie, I know you're proud of me; you tell me all the time (and all my other blog friends who read me). There's just a certain someone who doesn't tell me hardly at all that I would like him to tell me more often. It makes me feel good.

But, for now, I'm going to close. I've got lots to write about and lots to do this morning. Right now, I've got some directions to write for my grandfather and some med receipts to scan for an audit of our health care spending account.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

No comments: