Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Let's Hear the AAAAAA's!

School continues on a good note this week. This evening, much to my husband's and friend's forgetfulness, is my Technical Writing class that runs from 6pm to 8pm. Because this week is mid-term, Professor Mary wanted to make sure all the grades that she needs for me are posted in her grade book.

As it stands so far, not including the homework due this evening, we've had five writing assignments and a journal. The journal was for credit only, have I done it or not. Then, the first writing assignment was worth 5 points and the rest 25 points. I've got back so far three of the five papers. The 5-point paper was 5 out of 5. The other two papers were both 24 out of 25 points. So, so far, I've got an A in this class too.

Today, we really got into preparing writings for our term paper. As it stands, this class does not have any exams. The class will be graded based on our papers up until now, the journal, the term paper, and an oral presentation based on the term paper. A bonus for me is that my term paper is about interactive whiteboards. Because the school has two in the library, for my presentation, I'll be able to use the whiteboard for my presentation to show how the technology is effective for use in the classrooms.

But, for this evening, we needed to type up a memo, in a memo format, explaining why we chose the subject that we did and where we are at with the research. Boy do I have MUCH to read! Even though next week is Spring Break for me, I'm COMPLETELY busy.

So, here is the memo:

To: Professor Murray
From: Cathryn (removed)
Date: March 6, 2007
Re: Research to Date

How are Interactive Whiteboards effective in the K-12 classroom?

With all of the technology being introduced into the grade school environment, research needs to be done to determine if education technology is effective. Of all the technology being introduced, interactive whiteboards have been touted as the most effective technology in teaching children. The question is, however, how are interactive whiteboards effective in the K-12 classroom?
This research paper will allow readers to be presented with facts on the background of interactive whiteboards, including their history, configurations, and costs. Because interactive whiteboards are used not only in the U.S., research results will be included from countries like Great Britain, Japan, and Singapore. This paper should allow the conclusion that interactive whiteboards should be used in all classrooms in helping get students actively involved in their education.

There are many sources of information to support these findings. To date, research includes more than 40 peer-reviewed journal entries. The amount of research has resulted in many concrete findings that will support the views that interactive whiteboards are effective in these classrooms.

Then, in class this evening, we were paired up based on undergrad or grad. We were to read each other's memos and work on a possible table of contents for our papers. Then, as an exercise, Mary suggested writing a summary paragraph that might be used in the paper. I showed my paragraph. My partner says to me, "I can't believe how logical you thinking is. This is very good." I told him back that I have always been told I was a logical thinker. "I've thought this way for years." Then, he told me to pass my writing along to another pair of ladies in class. They told Mary they were having trouble with the exercise. Then, we took a break. I told them to think of the writing like newspaper writing. The concept is the same, with the most important information at the top, in an inverted pyramid. Maybe this will help. I told them, even though I've got all my research done for the paper, I've not read ANY of the printouts. The information in my summary paragraph was information I know about my topic from history. At one time I interviewed with a company to teach people how to use interactive whiteboards, which, as you can tell I didn't get that job. But, I digress.

Plus, I was watching Headline News last night and learned information that I gave to one of my classmates to help her with her paper. She told me that I was doing her research because her paper has to do with BMI (body mass index). So, I had told her about what's been going on in New Jersey and what she found out about Viriginia about the schools grading the kids on their BMIs. Why shouldn't I pass along the information if I knew about it? I've learned to share.

Right now, it's about 10:20 and Cassi is finally sick. I don't think she'll be going to school tomorrow, but I have to go to her school because I've got a meeting with the principal and the PTO treasurer. She's been really good this year about not getting sick. But, she is pushing to go. We'll see.

I'm going to close for now. I'm going to try to write a poem before bed.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First and foremost I hope munchkin feels better! I'm so proud of how well you are doing this semester. Good luck with your paper, try to get as much done as possible on your break to make things easier when you start up again. You talked about foreign countries using the white boards, make sure you check out the BBC because I know they have done stories on their radio programs as to how students are doing better because of them. I'm not sure if you can use this as a resource or not, but I figured I would share as well!!