Friday, December 01, 2006

I'm a Libertine...

Okay, I took that survey that is listed on an earlier post. It basically said that I'm a Libertine. I also mentioned that I wanted to look up what Libertine meant, as the description needed further definition in my mind. So, I looked it up on Wikipedia (an awesome source for generic info). Here is what it said:

Libertine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Libertine has come to mean one devoid of any restraints--especially one who ignores or even spurns religious norms, accepted morals, and forms of behavior sanctioned by the larger society. The philosophy gained new-found adherents in the 18th and 19th centuries, particularly in France and Britain. Notable among these were John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester, the Marquis de Sade, and Aleister Crowley. "Libertine," like many words, is an evolving one, defined today as "a dissolute person; usually a person who is morally unrestrained."

(So, maybe I'm just like to GET AROUND.) There are a number of things I like to do that would describe me as "unrestrained." Oh, there's so much I would like to say on this topic, but I'll just leave my thoughts to myself.

Libertine is a negative term, derived by John Calvin, for opponents of his policies in Geneva, Switzerland. This group, led by Ami Perrin argued against Calvin's "insistence that church discipline should be enforced uniformly against all members of Genevan society."[1] Perrin and his allies were elected to the town council in 1548, and "broadened their support base in Geneva by stirring up resentment among the older inhabitants against the increasing number of religious refugees who were fleeing France in even greater numbers."[1] By 1555, Calvinists were firmly in place on the Genevan town council, so the Libertines, led by Perrin, responded with an "attempted coup against the government and called for the massacre of the French ... This was the last great political challenge Calvin had to face in Geneva."[1]
Les Liaisons dangereuses (Dangerous Liaisons, 1782), an epistolary novel by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos, is a trenchant description of sexual libertinism. Wayland Young argues that "…the mere analysis of libertinism… carried out by a novelist with such a prodigious command of his medium… was enough to condemn it and play a large part in its destruction." (Young, 1966, 246) (See Libertine novel)

Maybe, because I am a Libertine, I played a part in the destruction in certain relationships in my life. Hmm, but, I didn't know I was doing this. Maybe I should change. Nah! I like who I am. If those people in my life don't like me who I am, they can leave. I can always find others to be in my life. Oh, but do I want a "mid life crisis!" Maybe it would make my life easier!

Okay, so who can I seduce????

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is too funny!

Cathy said...

Can you believe where my thoughts ran on this one? Since they tended to be on the x-rated side, I'll keep them instead of sharing. This is one instance where sharing isn't good, but everyone can think what they want about what I MIGHT have thought. Besides, I'm trying to keep this a family-friendly blog!