Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Fall Grades & Spring Semester...

Okay, the results are in! My journalism class - named: Lab Newspaper 1, I got an A-. I can't believe I didn't get an A. But, I did flub a little, but I figured I had done more in the beginning, but with scheduling coulding keep up with the same amount of work all semester. Guess it figures I can't be perfect 100% of the time. Plus, not sure if it matters that I decided I needed to take 2 English classes in the spring, instead of the Lab Newspaper 2. But, I'm drained from the amount of work we had to do. I REALLY think the class could have been 8 credits all by itself, with the amount of work I did. I could have been there everyday and still not gotten everything needed done.

My Gender in Communications class. This was the one I REALLY stressed out on. As of last Friday, I was waiting on 4 grades to figure out what I would get. Out of 7, I had 3, 2 tests and 1 term paper. So, with so few, I had no idea where I was grade wise. Hoping that my 2 papers turned in would be graded, I was disappointed to know that they weren't done. I was also waiting on that test, along with an attendance/participation grade. The faculty had until yesterday to input the grades. By 10pm, this grade was not posted. But, low and behold, Rob checked for me overnight, to let me know my grade this morning.

Sadly, my overall GPA has gone down. Before this semester, I was carrying a 3.57 GPA (out of 4 points). My new overall GPA is

3.38

Okay, before anyone complains, this is still WAY better than my grades for my Associate Degree, which will not be mentioned here. But, I should be able to do better than I did. I just had such a difficult time with the Gender in Com class. I will re-evaluate my needs for upper level credits for the other com class. You see, for my degree, I have to take 1 African American Experience and 1 Diversity class. I believe this class covered the diversity requirement. But, for my degree, I also need 42 upper level (junior and senior level classes). If I can get by without the upper level com for African American exp, then I'm takin' an easy class, something that will help me get my GPA back up.

So, for Spring! I'm now able to look at the books for my 2 classes. For spring, I'm taking my Technical Writing class, that is only available in the spring. So, this time was IT! I'm required to get 2 books for class. It appears they might run me about $150 total, but for 2 books.

My other class is the Creative Writing Workshop on Poetry. Ooh! I get the opportunity to write poetry for 16 weeks, with the same professor I had for creative writing last summer. I'm so EXCITED! With the excitement also comes disappointment. I need 10 books! Okay, so the class is 16 weeks, but TEN (10) books? At this point, I don't have pricing on them, but my guess is around $150 for them as well. I get to be CREATIVE! I know a few of you out there who read my blogs will enjoy my creativity come spring.

With spring semester, I've got 3 semesters, plus 1 class left. I'm taking my English Senior Survey the very last, with taking the class by itself, even if I have to pay out of pocket for the 1 class. I want to be the best in the class and focus on it. Plus, it will be the VERY LAST class I take before my degree! And, you can better believe, I'm WALKING DOWN THE ISLE to get my degree! I know I've got a ways to go yet, but I've already got my list in mind to invite watch me walk down the aisle to get my degree.

With that, I'm going to close for now. I'm going to see what my poetry books might cost through amazon to get an idea so I don't up and have a heart attack when I go to buy my books!

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is an awesome grade point average!! I'm really proud of you! Keep up the good work!