Saturday, September 23, 2006

My Week - School

Okay. This week has been VERY rough. At school, we got our first newspaper published. As part of my Capstone class, which is COM426, we produce a newspaper every two weeks, after the initial four to get things rolling. We just had the first issue published, but we already have to have our news stories ready for the next deadline, which just happens to be next Wednesday. That's okay. I've got a few story leads, plus my feature/column I'm writing. For this upcoming issue, I'm writing a feature/column about older-Americans going back to school. Then, I'm interviewing some people at the Cleveland Marshall Law School about the upcoming renovations/construction to their building. Then, I took over the job of doing an interview about the new PC repair shop. Quite an impressive amount of stories that have to be completed by Wednesday. But, I can handle it!

Oh, if you want to see my stories online, our newspaper also has the stories being posted. The Web site address is: http://www.csuohio.edu/clevelandstater. This week, I will have the paper edition of my news stories available for viewing on my eportfolio site. Not only did I have 2 of the 3 stories I wrote in the print edition, I also formatted page 4, finished page 2, and helped with page 3. AND, I got a half page advertisement that landed on page 8. Then, I went to the State of the University address by President Schwartz and took photos. Busy week for the newspaper girl. Then, once the paper was printed, I was tasked to walk about campus, delivering copies where needed. I had 5 places to go. AND, after working all day Thursday with Rob to put in a new front door (another story), I got my exercising in with carrying 100 newspapers to five locations, of which I was able to find four!

I'm REALLY trying to get back to my creative writing, but it appears I have writer's block again. Also, it might be from the newspaper writing I've been doing. I'm writing, but a different type of writing.

So, my motto is, what news stories can I come up with for the next edition. Low and behold, here, in the goold ole' state of OH, they have a holiday coming up on 10/21 that's called Sweetest Day. I never heard of it before coming to Ohio. Someone said to me it was just a holiday created for American Greetings to sell more cards. Ohio, and Cleveland especially, just happens to be home to American Greetings.

For our edition, coming out on October 20, I am doing a funny column about love and the internet. As most of you have read, I met hubby through the internet. The short-short version: 1. We met just after Valentine's day in 1997, 2. We dated for 3 weeks, 3. We got married on 3/14/1997, 4. We've now been married for almost 10 years (2007 will be the 10-year anniversary).

So, part of my research is looking for anyone who has gotten married after meeting their significant other through the net. I WOULD LOVE to interview you for my story. I might also submit my story to the Plain Dealer (in Cleveland) and my local papers out here in Lorain County. Would be neat to see it published professionally.

Now, with all this going on this week, we also finished watching "Mona Lisa Smile" in the Gender in Communication class. We have a paper due on Monday. It's not your typical, "looks like an English paper"-type paper. Specifically, it is to answer 3 questions, dealing with the issues we are looking at in class. In this case, about the women's movements. For the next paper, we're watching "He Said, She Said." So, I've got Netflix all ready for the movies to rent and watch at home. For each paper, they are extra credit, allowing me up to 5 extra credit points for my final grade. With over 10 movies to watch over the semester (maybe), I could get a pretty good grade. Plus, next Wednesday, we've got our first exam (of three). And who said I'm not in classes full-time. Even though I'm only in two classes, I work like I'm in three.

Plus, an idea came to me. With the knowledge that I've got nine classes left, I'll be in classes full-time for the last three semesters of college. This will allow me to graduate in Spring 2008. WHOO! HOO! Right now, my GPA is 3.57, which I'm hoping to get up to a 3.75. I'm going to apply this week to see if I'm eligible for the Honors Program. Worst they can say is I'm not qualified enough. Because I'm a transfer student, I have to be at least a Junior-level student. Okay, according to the college, I'm a Senior. I initially qualify. We'll take it from there. Will let you know if I am accepted. This would mean free tuition and books. We can only hope. It also typically means free room and board, but I don't need the room part. Board would be good because I could get lunch while I'm at school.

Okay. That's it for now about school. I've got other stuff I want to talk about too. I'm supposed to be watching my movie because I've got work tomorrow morning. But, oh well.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck with applying for the honors!! They would be silly not to have you be in!! Keep up the good work and good luck with everything!! If you see what your classes are that you have left, maybe you could take one class in the summer so that way you can take another semester with only two classes!