Monday, September 11, 2006

The Cranky Clevelander
Issue 2, September 11, 2006

In issue 2, I'll be talking about a few things. I've been keeping a list, which has actually gotten quite large. So, I'll keep the griping down to two or three items. Remember, these are MY gripes. If you don't like them, fine! If you do like them, fine!

First off, most of you know that I am now working part-time on the weekends. This main issue raises multiple gripes. 1. Yes, I know I HAVE to work. But, with going to school, there should be something out there to help me be able to pay bills, live, etc., that would allow me to not have to work. 2. I had orientation this past weekend. Because I have done training like the woman who lead the training, I knew what she was doing. Basically, orientation SUCKED! I was so bored. Becasue of the fact I was in business, I have a business frame of mind. There were so many times that this one participant continued asking the same questions. The trainer should have said to her, table the questions until the end of class. We can discuss them one-on-one. Also, there were a few times when the trainer wasn't able to answer the questions that the students asked. But, I did. Like travel time and mileage. My past, with my traveling, etc., I knew what she was talking about. My store is a main training site. So, my training was at home base. I didn't qualify for travel and mileage. NO PROB. But, for those coming for orientation from other stores, they had no concept of the differences and the time they would earn for the time it took them to travel to the story. Example: It typically takes you 15 minutes to get from your house to work at your regular store, but it took you a half hour to get from home to orientation. You would get paid for the 15 minute difference in time for travel. That's very no nonsense. She couldn't explain it how I just explained it. The same for mileage. 3. Discounts. Yes, I will be working in a retail establishment, to remain nameless. When I was hired, there was no mention of discount. But, everyone I told about the job all said, "Oh, so you'll be able to get a discount!" Which is what I thought. Someone at orientation asked about our discount. "There is no discount. Because if we gave you a discount, you would bring in everyone you know to get your discount. So, no one gets it." What a JIP! I'm so turned off. That was a point that should have been brought out in the interview. Everyone assumes that you get a discount when you work at a retail establishment. WRONG!

So, the bottom line is, I'm not happy working at this job. If a better job becomes available, I'll probably take it. If the job is in retail, it should have a discount.

#2 Cell phones and driving! Okay, this is a good one. For those of you unfamiliar with this area, I live about a half hour west of downtown Cleveland, OH. To get there, you have to travel over the highway to get there. Last week, I was coming home from school. I think it was Wednesday. As I was getting off the off-ramp, there was this young-looking, female driver in front of me. You can clearly see that she is on the phone. I come to find out that she is fumbling with her phone because, right there on the off-ramp, she slams on her brakes, she drives into the burm on both sides of the road. She is basically not watching the road, but is more concerned with the phone. As I come up behind her at the end of the off-ramp, we're getting onto a 4-lane road. I pushed the petal down and roared my car past her. I can't believe people can be so insensitive to other drivers. Also, this driver was VERY dangerous. I agree that cell phones should not be used when driving. I know that I do use my cell phone when I am driving. But, when I do, I am overly sensitive about it and react. I am making sure that my cell phone doesn't get in the way of my driving. If it ever does, I tell the person I'm talking to that I'm driving and I've got to get off.

Finally, PEOPLE BE SENSITIVE TO OTHERS! You could kill yourself and others.

Okay, that's it for now. I've got more, but will keep them until next week. Remember, if you've got a gripe you want to share, just let me know.

Signing off,
Cathy
The Cranky Clevelander

No comments: