Saturday, September 23, 2006

My First Paycheck

I'm now a tax-paying citizen again. I just got my first paycheck from work. Not a bad pull for only working 2 days a week. Luckily, I started working at the beginning of a work period. Plus, they are willing to schedule me for 8-hour shifts.

Today, after finishing my LAST computer training, I went to the floor to shadow. We ended up in the self-check out section of town, which has only been available two days. I immediately went up to the customers to help them check out and answer any questions they had. I was a pro. We got two questions answered today. Both of us didn't know how specific things worked on the new machines. Cool! The woman who is the head cashier (yep, there were two today) liked the fact that I'm a go-getter to be on my own quickly. So, I work again tomorrow morning 8-5. Most likely, I'll be there again. We'll see. I can shadow as well. Whatever they want me to do. I think come tomorrow, instead of shadowing, I'll run the register and ask questions where needed.

Oh, an interesting meeting happened today. A nice, older gentleman came over to where I was doing my computer training, and he was doing the same. Come to find out we have a contact in common. When I made the comment about working just weekends because of school and then mentioned E&Y. He asked me if I knew, "so and so." Which I ABSOLUTELY did. So, he's going to put me in contact with her. I can't wait to catch up with her. I haven't seen her since I was laid off (6 years ago). He named people I used to work with, who he is now working with on business ventures. So, it turned out to be a VERY nice day at work.

Even though it is a warmer night here in dreary Northeast Ohio, I decided to make myself a cup of chai tea. Okay, I actually made a pot. Because the tea comes loose-leaf type, I made a pot. The business that hubby and I run, selling Watkins products, makes an OUTSTANDING chai. We had a customer where we used to live who bought it all the time. She taught me about chai and how to prepare it, etc. Plus, "Good Eats" on Food TV also showed me about tea in general.

So, I'm now on my second cup for the evening. Since walking through the door, I did: laundry, dishes, cooked dinner, made my tea. Now, I've got laundry to fold and laundry to get into the dryer. If I don't I won't have jeans to wear to work tomorrow.

Oh, when I went to see Jason, hubby and I stopped into the Lane Bryant outlet store. I tried on jeans, as I have been too concerned about wearing jeans and my looks since having Cassi. Yes, folks, it has been almost 7 years since I was REALLY able to wear jeans. Now, I've got two pairs. Our camper friends, Bob and Betty, well, Betty said that I look thinner with the jeans. Well, I am losing weight still too. Of course I would look GREAT. But, the compliment helped. And, with all this walking I'm doing at school, DEFINITELY helps. So, I am off to the basement to get the laundry in the dryer.

With that, I'm going to close for the night. I might do an email before I go to bed. When I go to bed, I've got a movie to watch and laundry to fold on the bed.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cool, who knew this new job would be a networking opportunity!