Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Why are you taking English?

This was what my professor asked me today. First, Rob had to drive me to school today. He's been off and being my chauffeur to class. Because my financial aid got screwed up this semester, I have been unable as of yet to pay for my parking. Unlike less urban colleges, my college is in the middle of the city of Cleveland. My parking has been costing me $141 every semester. And, this is still no guarantee that parking in available when I need it. Many times I have to sit and wait for someone to leave so I can park and go to class. Lately, though, this has not been a major issue.

But, for today, Rob drove me to school so I would not have to pay an exorbitant amount of money to park. (I'll have to pay tomorrow and Thursday.) But, today was a bad day for driving with the amount of snow that happened to come down since 4am this morning.

Today, specifically this morning, is my English Senior Survey class. This class is MANDATORY for graduation as an English major. AND, this is the only section being offered this semester. This class will be doing literary analysis on Medieval Pilgrimage.

OK. This will be my challenge course. AND, this is the first semester that I've had to do any literary analysis with readings other than poetry. But, she reads through the syllabus. Something I can do on my own. She talks about what's going to be due this semester: 1 5-page paper in about a month, 2 exams, 1 15-page research paper and presentation, and 1 final. Oh, and by the way, the final is on a Thursday morning from 8:30am - 10:30am. I will HAVE to have someone available to take Cassi to school that day as I will have to come to school at 7:30 in the morning.

She gets done with class in 30 minutes (out of a 2 hour class period). Good thing Rob didn't go to mom's to wait until class was done because it would have been a waste. Prior to leaving, I gave the professor a more direct email address. So far, all professors have asked to email to reach them the best. So, I mention to her that this class will be a challenge for me as this is the first real literary analysis class I'm in. She asks me what my major is which I tell her English. She asks me why am I pursuing an English degree? I told her to get back into Technical Writing where I was before coming back to school.

I know there are a lot of arguments floating around about why people study English. Every time I get asked what I am pursuing, I'm constantly getting people to say, "So, are you going to teach?" Just because I'm getting my degree in English doesn't mean I want to teach. Nor does it mean I want to pursue my Master's Degree (a goal of taking this class). It also doesn't mean that literature is my life and goal is analysis of such.

There are other pursuits that English fits right in. So, let me just say, I will definitely have trouble with this class because of this professor. But, who knows, maybe I'll do better than I think because of the challenge.

The positives to today:

1. I was recognized as being on the Dean's List for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences for my GPA. At first I wondered, why was I all of a sudden recognized when I was getting above a 3.25 every semester since I started. Then, I realized, this was the first semester I had 12 credit hours. Makes a difference. OK. Cool for me. I got a 4.0.

2. My Tuesday night class will be easy and I'll get an A for sure. It's Feature Writing where my goal for the semester is to decide what I want to write about, research it and magazines I could submit it to, write it (3 versions with revisions), and then submit it for publishing. Who knows? I could have it published in a magazine that would want me to do more writing.

So, it's about 9:15pm now. I'm getting ready for bed. Because of this financial aid thing, I can't go to my internship tomorrow. Called Tina. She's cool about the whole thing. Because it's flexible, I can start next Wednesday. I'll have my refund check for sure and get my parking paid for (and my other bills waiting in the wings).

Lots of love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. Sorry I had to vent. Got a headache right now, probably from my hair. It's REALLY getting heavy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I hope you have gotten your parking paid for by now. Good luck with that! And I know you will do great with that class, even if it is a challenge!! When do your finals take place, let me know when you get a chance, especially that Thursday one. =)

Cathy said...

I have one final on Tuesday evening (5/6) from 6-8 pm. That will be just to turn in my magazine article. I will have my grade prior to finals week for my Imaging Africa class. My only other final is on Thursday (5/8) from 8:30 am to 10:30 am. This will be the only final I need help with. Of course, there's no final for my internship.