Friday, January 18, 2008

My Grandmother MUST Be Telling Me Something

I know you guys recall that I've talked about dreams of my grandmother. This grandmother is my dad's mom. When we were growing up, Dad would take Marie and I to Massachusetts to visit her. At that time, on Sunday's of the visit, family would show up "out of the woodwork." Each time, there would be cousins I hadn't seen the last time.

Anyway, over the past few years, I've had a few dreams about going to her house. I do recall seeing her once or twice. This dream was definitely the "after" dream. She passed away when I was in high school, which was WAY too long ago.

But, this dream starts out here in Ohio, with Mom and Cassi taking a road trip to her house. Basically, I remember talking about how to get there and we decided across Rt. 90, which takes you to the northern parts of PA.

Then, we got there.

The house looked about the same. We got to go inside because the family living there allowed us in. The rooms still looked the same except for a fridge in the front parlor. For those of you who don't know, the term parlor in New England is the same as the formal living room. The biggest change to me was the kitchen. I remember the kitchen being HUGE. As a footprint of the house, the kitchen was dead in the middle of the first floor, with the parlor in front and a family room flanking the back. Basically the house was divided into three downstairs. As I'm walking around, I notice that all of the door fronts have been glazed over with a black laminate or plastic type covering. But, everything again is still where it was when we were growing up.

I look out the window. The house had a garage, but down the hill and behind the house. Out this window, you're able to see a drive that 4 or 5 cars can park. I see what looks like a REALLY old car. The first person I think of is my step grandpa Freddie. Uh, oh! I thought he would have died by now! The family says the house was converted into a multi-family property and he lives downstairs, which figures because he loved being in the garage when we visited.

So, we try to make sure he doesn't see us. The family who lives there leaves the kitchen. I climb up onto the counter that shoots out from the stove area. Above the stove are cabinets. I open the cabinets to find all of these boxes of recipes. OH, MY, Gosh! These are the recipe boxes that are holding all my grandmother's recipes! I so try to snatch them. But, as soon as I find them, the family comes walking back in as I quickly get down from the counter.

I can't remember if I take one of the boxes, but I feel as if in my dream that I do. What the recipes were? Couldn't tell you at all. But, it was IMPORTANT that I get those boxes.

I then look out the window over the sink and see a lake has formed down the hill. I was told by the family the city turned the area into a lake. This was where the drive was to get to that garage. I go outside and down the back to see an apartment of sorts where the garage used to be. I also see the lake and how you can't drive to where the garage was either.

Then, I wake up from my dream. Something is definitely telling me I need to visit there. Maybe after my graduation and such, I'll take the trip.

I had this dream yesterday morning and still remember it now.

Lots of love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting dream, unfortunately I must tell you there is one thing that wouldn't happen. Mom wouldn't go with you since mom pretty much never went there.

Cathy said...

Well mom was to Grandma Muriel like I am with Ann. It seems like the mother's of sons never like the women their son's marry because the wife took the place of the mother in the son's life. (hope that wasn't too confusing)

And, I told you it was a dream. But, I do remember all the colors (kitchen had knotty pine wood and blue counter tops, the green of the grass and trees outside the kitchen window, and the yellow-ish brown of the gravel drive). And, as I'm typing this now, everything seemed to be related to the kitchen where we actually spent so much time with grandma when we visited.