Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Just a Few Thoughts...

Okay, last night, was my oral presentation. I knew what I wanted to say. Then, my brain got in the way, thinking of other things to say. I don't think I gave enough information. I know it really would have been good if I had had an interactive whiteboard available to show live what the unit does. Also, I could have used a 10-minute timeframe to present. So, when it came to being the 4-minute mark, I think I rushed. Now, tomorrow, I have to suffer through watching myself. This will be the one grade that will bring me down. I got my journal back, which had the note, "Great Job Cathy." She wanted the journal to be readings each week from a professional periodical. At the time, I was getting the Wall Street Journal daily and for free. This was an approved writing that I could read. The goal was to read one story each week and write up a short summary about it, 4-6 sentences. I know in some cases I went 10 sentences, but for the most part, it was within the limits. With each week's summary, I also included the story from the paper. At first, I scanned the story, but as the weeks went on, the stories got longer. It was just easier to cut them and put them in sheet protectors. Good thing I had sheet protectors. This helped keep them together and clean.

So, with my journal, I also included all of the papers we did each week for our exercises/ homework/etc. With each of the assignments, I have the original, the original with her grading, and the revisions, if necessary with that grade. For all of my assignments, depending on the point values, I achieved 24/25, 25/25, 4/5, and 5/5. So, for the most part, I've got an A in the class. I got my second draft, not final draft like I would like to call it, of my term paper. I still need to do some better work on my organizing/summarizing. My final grade? 24 out of 25. And another note: "Nice Job." Last night, I had one more thing to do with my term paper. Mary asked us to upload our papers to a Web site called www.turnitin.com. The site reviews the paper for originality and shame on the person who decides to plagarize. As of this morning, 4% of my paper was reviewed. No results yet. I think I like this idea.

What I've got left? Watching my terrible performance Thursday and my final. The final isn't really something that I can study for. The final is reading something someone wrote and making suggestions for improvements and edits for the paper. Just because I can write a paper doesn't mean that I can read and edit someone else's. That's part of being a technical writer. The final is scheduled for May 10, Thursday, along with 2 cakes I'm making for teacher appreciation week and a PTO meeting on the same day. Hmmmm! We could have had the test on Tuesday, but the grad students have a final scheduled the same day from 6pm until midnight. A conflict indeed!

My poetry still has lots to do. Today, I turn in my personal portfolio. I took the dividers and scrapbooked them, adding photos of me, Marie, Cassi, Rob, mom, dad, etc. The photos go from now back to when I was a baby. The title of my portfolio? The Many Faces of Cathy (that's me). I also included commentary with each picture.

I'm at stanza 4 of 7 to memorize. My goal is to have it memorized for Monday. If I can present it in class Monday, I won't have to do it Wednesday. Then, I've got the class manuscript and class audio. The audio will be easy. Half of us are done, edited and added to the playlist to create the CD. I'll be able to do it on another computer while I'm compiling the manuscript. Just like last summer, I'll be running 2 computers at once.

With that, I have to leave early. I'm bringing binding stuff and computer and camera and microphone. I know at least one person needs to bind her stuff before class. So, I'll be there early. Plus, I'll get to talk to Nuala before class.

I've got to go now. I need to brush my teeth and do my hair before leaving.

Lots of love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

2 comments:

Lynda said...

"The Many Faces of Cathy (that's me)"

What? You're Cathy?? Why haven't I seen this before? LOL. :)

Sounds like you have a busy week ahead of you. Keep doing a great job. It's better than getting, "Why do you bother?" on your papers! :D (I had a professor when I went to community college that kind of acted that way with me.)

Unknown said...

Good luck with your other finals!!