Sunday, May 06, 2007

Adventures in Garbage Colleting...

...or the collecting of other people's aluminum to pay for your need to take you and your family to see Spider-Man 3 at the theater.

Yes, you heard that right. Sunday night is garbage night around here. Last week, Rob had picked up a few things around the neighborhood that was aluminum. When he took those things and the cans we had in our garage, he got $8.25. Aluminum here is 55 cents a pound to recycle.

So, this evening, after Cassi got home from Pa's, we went out around the neighborhood and picked up from the garbage line a few aluminum lawn chairs and cans galore. Cassi was really excited. In some cases, daddy had her get out quickly to pick up the smaller bags, while he jumped out and picked up bigger bags. When daddy explained to her about how the cans would get money, she was excited. She said she wanted a new kite. Then, when daddy said the money was going to go to the movie, she REALLY wanted to help.

We ended up going around 3 times, with 2 dropoffs before the final when we returned. We've got 39 gallon garbage cans. You know, those things from Rubbermaid with the really hard tops. Anyway, they are pretty large. The 33 gallon bags fit, but 39 is better. Well, with a 33 gallon bag, Rob got to work crushing the cans. With cans crushed, he filled the garbage can from trips 1 and 2. The last trip hasn't been crushed yet. After we took the bag out, he asked me how much did I think the bag weighs? Well, I thought the bag was about 30 pounds. Hmmm? Should pick up about $15 for it. Plus, the third trip and the 3 chairs.

The art of garbage collecting is a weekly occurrance with some people here. You'll find many trucks filled to the brim with stuff. So, at least on the weekends that Rob's got off, we'll be collecting cans.

Things of interest this year that people were throwing to the garbage:

  • Whirlwind Vaccuums
  • Toilets
  • Wood
  • Fences

Going around the neigborhoods, just about every other house is for sale. Then, about every fifth house has been abandoned or evicted. Some of the houses look really nice too. It's tough to see someone just giving up their house when they really need to fight to keep it. But, not knowing anyone's circumstances, it's just tough to see houses going the way they are. To top it off, builders continue to build brand new houses. I'd like to know who's going to buy and KEEP brand new houses.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. Didn't mean to do that.

By the way, my memorization is ready, all 35 lines. I'll just have to recite it tomorrow. My journal is also ready, a 3-inch binder that feels about 20 pounds. The class manuscript is ALMOST finished. Just need poems from Nuala and the cover, which is being painted by Michelle. Then, I'll print-print-print. Michelle is coming over Tuesday to help me finalize printing and binding. I told her I would cook if she came over. I'm making my FAMOUS home-made Chicken Alfredo. She told me it's her favorite.

Lots of love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I hope you have fun at the movie, but be prepared because it's OVER 2 hours long! I'm hoping to go see it this Friday coming up! I'm glad that Cassi had fun helping out too! Tell her that if she wants a kite, when she gets her money from me (I hope to send it out Friday) she can get a kite with that money! Also we have to figure out a way for her to earn money this summer? What do you think about helping with chores?

Cupcake Blonde said...

I miss being able to recycle cans for money. Once after a party of my brother's Brian and I got over 60 bucks from retuning the cans left behind.

I have a cool idea but not sure if you or Cassi would be up for it. We did a story on how kids today barely know how to hand write a letter because of email and computers and it made me sad. I was thinking, if Cassi wanted to write either Marie or I a one page letter, for every letter she send she would get a dollar, from either me or Marie, whoever she sends the letter to. It would help her writing and be fun for us to read. Just a thought...what do you (and Marie) think?

Cathy said...

Vegas Princess: I know your secret, you want to get letters! Sure, I will get Cassi to write you guys letters this summer. She's been writing poetry in school. This would be a good way to keep her writing interest going.

Lynda said...

I remember crushing cans and recycling when we were kids. In Indiana, they want you to pay them to recycle at the curb. It's dumb.

By the way, I tagged you with a meme. You don't have to do it if you don't want to.

Cupcake Blonde said...

Are you okay? It's not like you to be away for so long.