Sunday, May 27, 2007

Been Out of It...

Wow! I didn't even realize how out of not writing I've been this week. AND, I've thought of some doozies. Well, just goes to show you the power of school. When I'm in school, I write about it.

And write...

And write...

But, this week has been a little crazy. My poetry professor asked for 6 more copies of the class manuscript. I think they turned out beautifully. Got them to her and got 2 of the first set back. I've got to take the comb binding apart and put a new title page in them. Then, I'm going to meet her at school and give them back.

She's asked me for my help. Since she loves the way I put together manuscripts so well (I've had YEARS of training with putting together books) that she's asked me to come speak to her 2 summer classes about their class manuscripts, personal manuscripts, etc. Talk to them about the importance of getting your act together. I think I'll go Friday. That's the best day for me, but more about next week later. She also asked me if I have time and wanted to make some extra money if I wanted to help them put together their class manuscripts and charge them what they would be charged to go to Kinko's to get it reproduced.

What does everyone think? As of right now, I'm still jobless. (more on that later too) I could charge them $5 a piece because I still have the supplies for the binding of the books. There would be about 20 or so for both classes combined. Plus, Nuala would give me paper to cover the use of my own paper, for which I've gotten a case after doing the ones for our class plus money for the supplies I bought on eBay.

So, I'll give her a call tomorrow about coming in this week.

Rob was off a few days this week as he works 3 12-hour shifts a week. We finished taking the carpeting out of our living room and dining room. Pictures to follow in another post. Cassi's friend's dad, Dan (also the PTO treasurer) is going to help us on Tuesday after the kids go to school to sand down the floor. So, after we pulled up the carpet on the living room side of the GIGANTIC room, there, by the front door was this rectangular spot. I say to Rob, "It looks like another spot they never finished." As you can recall, I found where there was a corner cabinet where it also looks like the floor under the cabinet was never finished.

At first, Rob says to me, "No. That's water damage. What am I going to do about it?"

But, after stopping and looking a few times, he decides to agree with me. At my front door, as you walk in, to the right of the door, and on the floor is this rectangle spot. It looks like there was a half wall at my front door, which probably made an entrance way at the front door since it opens right to the living room. Well, subconsciously, I've been making this "wall" myself out of our new furniture, with the couch coming out from the wall. Very strange indeed. Plus, when you run your foot over the spot, the wood is raised higher than the rest of the floor, meaning it looks like the floor was refinished once before. We did find one problem in the coat closet. It appears wet shoes lived in the closet too long. There looks like there's a little mold on the floor. Hopefully, when the guys sand, it will help.

So, this is why I can't go until Thursday. And, I've got cookies to bake for Thursday as Thursday night is the school's picnic night. We decided we would bake cookies for the night to donate the dessert.

Friday will be the best day for me to go to the school. AND, Cassi's officially got 2 weeks left of school, this coming week and the next. Her last day is June 8. They're having field day that day. I've got popsicles in my freezer for them. Since I've got a LARGE chest freezer, I told them I would hold them in my freezer until then because they need 400 of them. I think the girl at Marc's thought I was crazy picking up 24 boxes of popsicles. Who cares? I bought them last year and stored them here. It was easy enough because the school doesn't have a freezer that's big enough for that many freezers nor does it freeze them quickly enough. So, if I'm not working by then, I'll be going to field day.

As for my interview, there's no news yet. This could be good or bad. Good because they haven't made their official decision. Bad because they might have picked someone else and I haven't gotten the letter yet.

Poll for the masses: Should I call them on Tuesday? I know they said they were interviewing until this past week, mid point. But, do I call them? Do I want to know? Yes, of course I do. I guess knowing ahead of time is better than nothing. Maybe they really wanted to look at my writing samples as I know they were going to print out what's on my site. And, maybe they wanted to talk with my references too.

But, until then, I've decided to start designing my tea bag envelopes again. I've decided to take them to the local flea market (where we got the floor tiles) and try to sell them there. We'll see. I just designed my American Pride ones. And guess what? I've bound the samples into a booklet. Hmmm? I think this comb binding machine is going to work out OK. I'm going to work on making new templates to bind of my other's already done while working on designing new ones. I've got for all the major holidays plus, birthday, American pride, new baby, wedding, friendship, thank you, get well, etc. If anyone has any suggestions for new catergories, just let me know. And, as soon as I get them posted on my online store, I'll let everyone know too.

Tomorrow, we're throwing a party. Can you believe it? My first official party at the house. We've invited Dan and his girlfriend, Mary Beth, Alexis and Morgan (Dan's girls), Dan's step-mom, and my mom and dad. Everyone will be EATING! Burgers, dogs, tater salad, salad, chips, strawberry shortcake for dessert, watermelon (from mom and dad), ice cream (if the kids want it), etc. I don't think anyone will be hungry when they leave my place.

With that said, it's midnight now. I've got to potty and go to bed. I'll watch a little of the boob tube to quiet down before bed. I'll be up again by 8 washing dishes, laundry, baking biscuits, prepping food for the day, etc.

Lots of love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. Since my husband is a Gulf War Veteran, and to all the Veterans reading this:

I am proud of what everyone in the military does to keep me safe and free!

Freedom IS NOT FREE!

8 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

I think you should wait until Wednesday to call because the Tuesday after a holiday is never a good time to call. People are still getting back in to the swing of things from the long weekend.

I bet you got the position, I just know it!!

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Vegas, wait until Wed. to call. Also I would charge $10 if you are going to bind. Also, don't go to them, make them either email the info to you. Driving to get the stuff will defeat the purpose of making money with gas being over $3 a gallon!

Cathy said...

No, I'm not going to the school to get the stuff. Nuala has asked if I come to her classes this week to talk to them about the process of binding and making the manuscripts.

If I help, I'll only accept the products through email. I will then format it at home, print it at home, and bind it at home (I've got all here). Once it's done, I can arrange with them to pick up the finished products for their classes.

Cathy said...

But, thanks for the suggestion to wait until Wednesday for the decision. Anything could have happened, from people needing to reschedule, etc.

Cathy said...

Oh, and if I go to school Friday, I'll drive to the rapid and take the train in and bus it there since it's only $3.50 for round trip plus gas to the rapid versus driving and having to pay to park because I don't have parking priveleges this semester since I'm not in classes.

Lynda said...

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I would also wait until Wednesday.

Don't forget graduation if you haven't got it already.

Lynda said...

Oh, and new baby.

Lynda said...

Oops! You have new baby on the list.