Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Closet...

She is DONE! If you can remember, I have mentioned that in our office (AKA, the third bedroom), we have been working to redo the closet. When we first started, in February 2006 (yes, that year is correct!), the closet was "L" shaped along the back wall. The half of the back and the right side of the closet, as you face it, butt up against the front wall and cubby for entrance.

So, Rob, the love of my life, the man who can't do anything NOT perfectly, decides he is going to gut the closet and fix it 100% correct. Ah, but little did he know what was hiding behind that 50+-year-old plaster.

Typically, when someone thinks plaster, they think plaster on wire mesh, on lap boarding, etc. NOPE. There was about 3-4 layers of plaster on top of drywall! Hmmm? Very strange indeed. Especially since I've said we've found the wire mesh in the plaster ceiling.

Needless to say, I have been waiting since 2006 to get my office back in order. What I wanted to do, and you'll say, "You've watched too many home improvement shows," is, I wanted to add shelving to my closet. Yes, I've seen way too many home improvement shows, especially dedicated to organizing spaces. In this case, with all the paper, labels, etc I use when I design invitations (anyone need a party invitation? I make custom-designed stuff), I wanted to put shelving in the closet to organize all that stuff.

So, before we started the project, everything needed to be boxed. Boxes have been: in my bedroom on the floor, in my closet, in my hallway, in my basement, in Cassi's room, in my living, room. Need I go on?

Last week, Rob finally completed the drywalling, spackle, sanding, and painting. Yesterday, we spent the whole day, figuring out where the shelves would go and drilling. That was a trip in itself too. It took us 2-3 hours to put up 1 shelf, the very top, that is also only 12 inches out from the wall. All the other 4 shelves are 16 inches out from the wall. The rest of the shelves (yes, all 4 of them), took only about an hour.

But, the shelves are all in and about 90% of everything that I want in there is there. Oh, and by the way, we had to take the shelves back to the home improvement store twice after the original purchase to get them trimmed.

I can see my floor now. We vaccuumed, spring cleaned (got rid of old files, etc.), boxed up stuff that can go to the basement. Can you believe we've taken two 39-gallon garbage bags of CRAP to the can from this room and stuff stored? Things that we no longer want or need.

So, without further ado, here's the photo:


Lots of love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. No, Rob will NOT come to do anyone else's closets. He's already told me if we don't hire a professional for our closets (Cassi's and ours), they WON'T get done.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks awesome!!! Keep up the good work!!

Cupcake Blonde said...

It looks great and so organized. I am sure it is much easier to find everything now.

Cupcake Blonde said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynda said...

Dang. I don't live that far away, and it looks like professional work. ;)