Tuesday, October 10, 2006

This Weekend for Cassi and Hubby - a third person story

Because my job decided to change my working time, but decidedly, not choose to ask if it was okay, I ended up working 12-9 on Saturday. Obviously, they don't care if I have a life or not. So, I don't get the opportunity to go with hubby and Cassi on their outting. They went with Roz (Rob's nurse co-worker) and family to the east side, Chesterland to be exact to a farm for pumpkins and apples. Cassi really enjoyed herself. They went mainly so that Cassi to be around other kids. I heard all the stories about the day. Roz couldn't believe how comfortable Cassi got at her house and her brother's house. Well, she's a very independent kinda girl. Also, she knows when she's comfortable at someone's house to just relax. But, they ended up not getting any pumpkins. They were 35 cents a pound. Come on now. The pumpkins are only going to be carved and thrown away. No need. Plus, the bag of apples hubby got, I counted only 6 (yep six) in the bag were $4. Outlandish indeed!

But, on Sunday, of course a work day again at 8-5, hubby takes Cassi to a place just west of here between South Amherst and Vermillion. I think I know where they went because we went to a farm in Vermillion last year that was just down the street from where they went.

Anyway, they were able to pick apples right off the tree. I've been looking for a place like this for 13 years, since we moved here from Jersey. They got two bags to fill for apples. The man told them that one bag was about a half bushel. Each bag cost $8 each. Okay, so one bag was about five times as much apples as the bag they purchased the day before for twice as much. We've already gone through almost all of the apples, and no apple pie filling yet. I guess I'll just have to go back.

Cassi and I had a mom-daughter night last night. We took MANY of the apples, cored them and juiced them.

Product Endorsement: If you ever decide you want fresh juice, get a Jack LaLane juicer. I've got the smaller one, which cost us about $100 from Home Shopping Center. I've made all kinds of juices fresh from the fruit. Yes, it does take a lot of fruit to make fresh juice, but it's well worth it. First, it's 100% fresh. Second, there are no preservatives, sugar, or anything artificial in it. I've made fruit juices and veggie juices as well. I've made home made V8 without all the extra salt. Of course, there's a salty taste to the juice, but it comes from the tomatoes you squeeze.

Cassi really enjoyed helping me put the fruit into the juicer. I cored the apples myself. On occasion, I cut the apples in half. I let her drop the piece into the top of the juicer, where I put the pusher into the hole and made juice. I've got a HUGE bag of pulp left, the solid pieces of the apple that couldn't be juiced. Probably Thursday, I'm going to make apple bread from my recipe for Zucchini bread, just replacing the zucchini with apples.

So, I just finished my paper for class tomorrow. I'll print it out at school tomorrow or email it to her. I have to interview one more person for my news column for next week's edition of the paper. Plus, I have one more story, that I'm going to do next week.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that Cassi got to go out and spend the day with her daddy!!