Thursday, October 12, 2006

In Pain...

Well, not really. Yesterday, while picking Cassi up from school, I noticed she had an extra lisp when talking. When I looked at her mouth, I noticed that there was an extra "bit" of white behind her bottom row teeth. So, we stopped, and I tell her to open her mouth. For the past month, she has had a loose tooth in the same area, but none dropping out.

It appeared that her two bottom, front teeth had her adult teeth growing behind her first teeth.

So, today, I had to work extra hard to get a new dentist. Her regular dentist, in my opinion, is getting ready to retire. I didn't call yesterday because I always remembered the hours being half day on Wednesday. Well, was I wrong! Her office is closed on Thursdays.

But, we found a new dentist for her. And a GOOD ONE at that! But, I was not happy at all. You see, I've got a BAD history with dentists. All but 2 (two) of my teeth have been pulled out.

So, when Rob got home this morning from work, he stayed up and helped me find a dentist. Then, he got up at noon to go with us, knowing he knows my history with dentists. Even though he was working tonight, he was willing to get no sleep to be with Cassi.

According to the dentist and assistant, they both said her teeth were ready to come out anyway, just about. So, she extracted the teeth. She told us she works a lot with kids, which I agree because she was so good with Cassi. I wish I had had a dentist like her when I was growing up!

When I had teeth removed, I ALWAYS saw the needle before they entered my mouth. So, even though it was for her, I got nervous. So, they brought us the bill, which I went and paid. What they did with Cassi was have her shut her eyes and keep the needle out of sight. They kept telling her the pink jelly (the stuff that starts to turn your lips into jelly). The dentist told her her teeth would go to sleep when the jelly and the water that was being put into her mouth would turn her bottom lip big and would go to sleep.

So, as she had her eyes shut, and the water was going in, the needle went in too. It was classic. But, I knew Cassi knew it was not the water that was her pain. She cried a little, but they kept putting extra water in her mouth to make her think the pain was from her teeth "going to sleep" and the water was too cold to cause the pain.

But, as they were getting ready for the extraction, I was too nervous. I went out and paid the bill. Once I got back, they were done! It was that easy.

So, we went home and her gums were done bleeding by the time we got home, which was about a half hour total. She laid down on the couch and watched a little TV. Because she was SO VERY HUNGRY, and the fact that she could only eat soft foods, I made her instant smashed potoates. We get these AWESOME potoates from Sam's Club and the ONLY instants I'll make and eat. She ate them and she loved it. Then, she watched a little more TV and took a nap.

This evening, we went to the mall, where she got some ice cream and got to play with some little kids.

Now, I'm finishing watching my new TV show "Ugly Betty." I think the show is AWESOME. It gives me hope for getting a good job, even though I'm not the best looking. But, I'm striving for more than just an administrative assistant.

With that, I've got some other blogs to review before going to bed with Cassi. I'm going to let her sleep with me tonight.

Oh, and by the way. While she was napping, the "tooth fairy" decided to show up and give her $4 in golden dollars. She told Pa all he had to do to get the money was get his teeth pulled with the puller the dentist used on her teeth. He said he should get Nana's teeth pulled and come to our house to get money!

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Martin said...

That's a cute little story. Going to the dentist can be terrifying for a child. It sounds like she was really brave about all of it. I can't say that I'd be the same (I haven't had any pulled before.)