Thursday, October 26, 2006

My Civic Duty...

Okay, before I get to my first news story to write up (due tomorrow) and finish studying for my exam (also tomorrow), I've got to write about my experience this morning.

I DID MY CIVIC DUTY (to get scum off the street)!

About 8:15 this morning, I was in my office, working on my desktop, Rob was finishing his shower, and Cassi was ready for school and watching TV in her room (remember, still no TV in the living room). I hear this strong, knock/pound on the front door.

Rob says, "Who the heck is that?"

I told him I thought it was Alyssa coming over to ask about riding with us. This is the little girl across the street who is in the same school with Cassi.

So, I go to the front door and open it. There standing at the front door are 4 (YES FOUR) Sheriff's. They ask me if Michael is here. For those of you who don't know, Michael is Rob's brother and a "bad seed."

I tell the main man, "No! He isn't here and we haven't seen him since July." At that point, he asks if they can come in. Of course. I'm not going to be a "bad hostess" and leave the police standing outside.

So, in come 4-5 sheriff's. They expalin they are looking for Michael because they have a warrant out for his arrest.

Rob shouts, "Who's at the door?" I tell him it's the police. "Oh, I'll be right out." In which I tell the police that's my husband just getting out of the shower.

They're asking me where they might be able to find Michael. I started thinking about all the places where he's lived and has been working currently. By that point, Rob comes out. He starts telling them the same thing about where he might find said brother. They ask who Rob is and the relation. It appears that Michael has been using our mailing address and this is how the police came to my door this morning. As we look out the side of our house, which is where the main street of our address comes from, I see a large Suburban sitting there.

Then, Rob says, "I know. Let me call someone who will have his address and phone number." In which he calls their dad. Because we have some stuff stored here of Michael's, Rob tells dad he wants to know Michael's address to deliver the stuff. Plus, he lost his cell phone number. As this conversation is going on, a few of the men had to leave the house because they had the walkie-talkies on that were pretty loud. They (and we) didn't want their dad to know the police were here.

In the end, the main man asks for our phone number and names. He didn't have a business card, but wrote down his name and cell phone for us. As I'm walking outside, because my Wall Street Journal is still sitting on the ground, in front of my door, I hear one of the men say, "Anyone coming out?"

I said, "No, just me getting my newspaper." I think they were disappointed at no catch here. But, we did our civic duty. Since Michael has been into drugs in the past and has been in jail in the past, we know something is up. Especially, since the main man, who gave us his information, says to us he is a US Marshall.

OK, there's federal issues going on here. We told him that Michael just won't learn until he goes away to jail for a long time. As the conversation was going on with dad, he says (because he's on speaker phone for the police to hear), Michael should be home now because Austin is in school. Okay, this should be a catch.

I bring in my newspaper and realize, "My house is an absolute mess!" My great room, living room/dining room combo has ALL KINDS OF CRAP strewn about. Because of Cassi's school papers, my school stuff as I got home late last night, our recent soda purchase, all a HUGE mess. But, we live here. I just realized how a stranger might see my house. Gotta CLEAN!

After this, I took Cassi down the street to school. I came back to get Rob because we were going over to Wal-Mart to get some sweaters and winter shirts for Cassi, who now had none because of her growth spurts. I picked up Rob and said, "Are we rolling by?"

He said, "Of course, but we'll just drive in the area, not on the street he lives." But, after we got by the street, we could see no SUV and went to the next street to double-back. No SUV, so not sure. On the way back up West Avenue, this is where the Elyria Police Station lives. We drive by very slowly, when I tell Rob, "Hey, I see their truck in the front of the building." Sure enough, after going behind the building, Rob saw it too.

So, we believe they "got him." Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! Can't wait to find out what happened. And, Rob wants to call his dad, but I told him not to until later. You see, their dad has always favored Michael, who, by chance is Rob's half-brother (2 different dads). My parents have always thought of Rob as their kid and have supported us when his parents haven't.

Okay, Marie, don't tell mom & dad about this yet. I want to be the one to tell them. Let me have the joy of telling them.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. Will let everyone know what happens as we find out.

UPDATE: About 3:45pm, Officer Siler, US Marshall, called us, letting us know that said brother was apprehended. There's a whole other story that came after this. I'll blab about it tomorrow or later. I still haven't done my homework for tomorrow. Ack!

No comments: