Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Official Apple Pie Recipe...

I've decided this will be the OFFICIAL family apple pie recipe. This is because it is a recipe to make the filling from scratch.

So, to all you out there, here is my recipe share. I found it at www.recipeplace.com. I might as well give credit where it is due.

Apple Pie Filling #10122

Ingredients
18 large Macintosh apples, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
(I used 24 small and medium apples I picked from the orchard, not just macintosh, whatever I had.)
6 TBS butter
3 C sugar
3 3/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp Nutmeg (yep, twice)

Directions
Melt butter in heavy pot and add apples and all remaining ingredients. Partially cook fruit over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring now and then with wooden spoon. Cool and divide filling into 3 freezer containers. Freeze until needed.

Note: make sure you melt the butter first. And, don't worry about the juice seeming on the liquidy side. It will thicken when you do part 2 (next) on making the actual pie.

How to make pie:
Ingredients
1 container apples
2 TBS flour
2 TBS butter
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
(sorry guys, I used the Pilsbury already-made pie crust. There just isn't enough counter space in my house to make the crust from scratch or I would!)

Directions
Removing filling from one container and defrost (okay, so I just took the bag out and put it into a bowl to defrost). Spoon pie filling into pie shell (again, I just dumped the bag into the pie shell). Sprinkle with flour and dot with butter. Cover with remaining pie dough and crimp edges together (remember with apple pie, you use 2 pie crusts). Slash top in several places to allow steam to escape. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes longer or until crust is nicely browned.

Okay. There you have it. If I get a chance and before anyone eats said pie, I will try to take pictures to share!

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

Happy Turkey Day!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

I may have to try this sometime. My husband loves apple pie!