Thursday, November 16, 2006

I Stayed Until 7pm for News Day this Week...

Yep, you heard it right. I stayed late at school this week on Wednesday because it was press day. At 5:30pm, we told everyone we were done and the newspaper was "put to bed." This meant it was approved to go to press.

Then, I sat with Cliff, chatting while he was rereading the entire newspaper. Low and behold, one story had problems with it. Names were written wrong. He asked me to contact the writer, asking confirmation of the names. Luckily for us Rt. 90 was coming to a complete stop when I called him. He was able to get into his backpack in the back seat of his car to get confirmation on names for me.

Then, we continue to look at the front page. He starts reading my story, which is a page 1 story. Come to find out, it was the original version I had submitted, before editing. This wasn't good. We had to re-place the good story, which was cut down by almost 350 words. This was bad for page 6, which is the jump page for continued stories from page 1.

We had to locate a photo or something else to fill up the page. Luckily, I had brought my laptop Wednesday because the story I wrote about, one of the participants had emailed me pictures. After two tries and having to restart my computer twice, we finally got the story done, photo laid out and the paper fixed.

But, if I hadn't been there, and he was reading, the newspaper would have been a mess for tomorrow.

Note to self: Make sure I (me, myself, and I) read EVERY page with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything is fixed.

Luckily, for the next edition, I'll be doing the page 1 and 6 layouts.

So, before I left, I told Cliff, I still wanted my A for this edition. Because we are required to submit two stories every edition, I only had one done. I told him because I had stories for the last editions to make up for this missing one, I had extra ads and stories in the beginning, I just wanted to move past the missing one story and focus on the upcoming editions. I think after this snafoo that we fixed, there's probably another A in my future. I know I'll get an A in this class for sure. I work DAMN hard at it too!

If it wasn't that the news paid so crappy, I would consider doing it. At least, I love the editing and layout of documents. Hmmm, I think I like, DESKTOP PUBLISHING!

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

NOOOOOOO not another job!! LOL

Miki said...

Cathy, you worked hard, harder, because you cared about the paper. I hope you got the "A" and savor that moment, you do deserve it!