Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My Babies are gone...

Well, it happened. My babies are gone. ALL OF THEM!

I always knew the kittens needed to be adopted away, but just couldn't gather myself up to do it. One of them was adopted, and I will get the opportunity to visit him. These other three I won't get to see at all. So, Fluffy, Tiger, and Smokey are gone.

Charlie and Patches are also gone. Charlie came with us from the other house, a farm cat. Even though we've had her the longest, I was never really connected with her. I think we allowed her to come in because she took to Cassi so much.

Patches, I took her in because the weather was so nasty. She had a flea collar on her neck, making me think she had a family who just didn't want her anymore. But, again, I wasn't really connected with her, even though she was so loving. SHE even loved Cassi. She slepted with Cassi a lot.

I was VERY connected with the kittens. The whole reason is that I had the opportunity to see them born. They were my babies. Patches even trusted me enough to be able to hold them the same day they were born. So, I saw them as my own.

Rob just doesn't understand. Because there were so many, and we just can't afford to keep them, they had to go. Rob was just so frustrated with them. They had knocked down the Christmas tree already once. Plus, because Patches and the babies still had their claws, they were clawing their way through our OLD couches. Plus, because, until we get enough money to put new windows into the house, we have to put up plastic. The cats ended up breaking open the plastic so they could sit on the window sills. Rob basically said it was him or them. Of course, I'm not giving up my husband, so the cats had to go.

Mom helped us out by getting the cats to the APL and offering up the donation money. She called me today at school (because I just don't get enough school Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays now) and told me she saw Fluffy and Tiger on Channel 5 (ABC affiliate here) as they feature cats and kittens up for adoption. This made my day a little better as I know they will go to good homes, and they were such good kittens. Ok, so at 5 months old, they are no longer kittens according to the APL, but cats. They will always be kittens to me. But, I called Rob, which was a bad idea. I let him know what mom said, and he was, like, whatever. Couldn't even share my joy.

The whole thing has made me sad. So much so that I've been doing personal battle with a bout of depression the past few days. He just doesn't understand. I know they are going to a better home, but it makes me very upset. So, again, I will just have to deal with it and figure out how to move on.

Any suggestions? I know that I want to volunteer some time at our APL, but just finding a good time.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ (

3 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

Could you ask the APL to call you when they get adopted so you know they are in good homes and safe?

I am so sorry you had to do this! It is so sad to lose a pet in any way. This doesn't make it any less tramatic than a death. If I could keep all the kitties I see at home I could, but we just physically can't and that sucks. We're the softies for the softies!

Unknown said...

I wish I could have taken one of them in, but it just isn't in the card for us right now. It will get better with time, you will always miss them, but it will get better

Lynda said...

My only suggestion is to treat it as a loss and allow yourself to grieve. Your husband had different feelings on the matter, so he probably doesn't understand. Too bad men don't have maternal instinct.