Thursday, November 16, 2006

Making Log Cabins from Milk Cartons

...and pretzel sticks. Yep, I'm one of the kids now!

Tuesday, I had lunch with Cassi. A few of the kids from class asked if I could stay after lunch. Mrs. Palcos and I agreed Tuesday wasn't a good day, but Thursday was.

So, today. I had lunch with Cassi and stayed. They have what's called "centers." In their room, tables/desks are set up in groups of 2 tables with 4 kids. Each grouping is called a center. Today, they were finishing up craft projects for next week's Thanksgiving celebration that will happen on Tuesday.

We finished making: pilgrim hats, indian head dresses, cornucopias (can't spell it), and log cabins. I helped out with the log cabins. The kids saved their milk cartons that had been rinsed out. The cartons were sanded down slightly, where the pretzel sticks were glued up the sides to resemble a log cabin. On the top of the milk carton, we stapled on black (or brown) pieces of construction paper for the roof, and glued a little construction paper door (with handle).

I had so much fun with the kids. And, Mrs. Palcos was happy all of the log cabins were finished in time. I ended up staying until 1pm, when the art teacher came into the room for their art time. When I grew up, the art class was a separate room. They must have so many kids now that the art teacher doesn't get a separate room. Plus, my guess is that she is the art teacher for the entire Elyria school system and rotates between all the schools.

But, I had so much fun that I came home and slept for an hour and a half before having to go back to pick her up.

Mrs. Palcos can't wait for me to come back to help before Christmas break. Plus, I'm working next Tuesday afternoon when they have their Thanksgiving feast. Plus, (shhhh, don't tell Rob), I'm taking on the role as Treasurer for the PTO. Not that I don't have ENOUGH bills to do at home. But, I think those of us who are in the group need to take charge because, in my opinion, the group doesn't work very well.

Okay, gotta go for now. I've got other posts to do, but will add them over the weekend. They are ones from this week that are still drafts until I can add them (gotta remember those ideas for blog stories).

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun afternoon!! I'm glad you were able to help!