Friday, February 08, 2008

My Magazine Writing Class...

Magazine Writing class is going VERY well. I had to write four news articles this past week, two were make-ups from when I was sick, one was from Tuesday, and one as a quiz on Thursday.

So, yesterday, he gave us this exercise in class. The first thing it reminded me of was a meme that gets shot around on the blogs. As he explained, because we are working on where we find ideas, as a writer, you can find ideas just about anywhere. So, here it is:

Full Name: Cathy (leaving out) - Cathryn A. (leaving out)
Birthday: June 19, 1971
Birthplace: Mt. Holly, NJ
Current Location: Elyria, OH - Home
Heritage: Heinz 57 mix, Hispanic, French, Irish, Dutch, English, German
Eye Color/Hair Color: brown/brown
Right or Left Handed: Right
Major Strength: Writing - about anything
Major Weakness: Can't say no when someone asks for help
Fears: My husband will get tired of me, I don't get a job when I'm done school.
Life Goal: To go back to work
Dream Profession: Technical Writer, Grant/Proposal Writer, Editor
Actual Profession: Full-Time Student; Mother; Wife
Favorite Meal: Anything Mexican
Coffee Drinker: When I'm in the Mood
Favorite (non)Alcoholic Drink: Root Beer
Has Character Been in Love: Yes - Married 11 Years
Healthy Habits: Love fresh veggies
Unhealthy Habits: Don't exercise enough
Favorite Movie: ALL Star Wars
Vices: Very controlling
Tattoo(s) / Piercing(s): ears pierced
Number One Regret: I didn't finish my college degree sooner.

Then, we talked about how, even with this information, how we could come up with ideas for magazine stories. For me, my first name is Cathryn. Now for a story, I could come up with stuff about why this isn't a normal spelling for the name, why I was named that way, how people get named the way they do, etc. Then, the professor suggested getting a book about the history of the year I was born. There are TONS of ideas for stories in these kind of books.

Then, before we left, we had to write for 10 minutes. We couldn't put the pen down for any length of time. First, he wanted us to write about something that was in the room. If we didn't want to do that, whatever we wanted to write about. I started to write about what happened Wednesday night, then ended up talking about heating alternatives for the house. Never did talk about why Thursday was crazy because I started talking about Wednesday night, but really about alternative heating options.

So, for next week, here's what I've got going on. By Thursday, I have to have my idea pinned down for my magazine article (or newspaper feature). This will be the project for the rest of the semester. The goal is to write an article good enough to be published.

Here are the items needed:

1. Query Letter
2. Writing guidelines from 12 publications - at least 2500 word articles accepted
3. 400 word description of your article, beginning with: "I propose..."

So, what topics do I have an interest in?

1. I am Step-Mom
2. Non-Traditional Students (actually written before but I'm taking a different path this time)
3. Cell Phones Schools (don't want to get further specific on this topic as others may want to try to use it)
4. Alternative Heating Options (wanted to write this as a blog, but I'll defer to my magazine article) - this is alternate ways of heating your home versus just natural gas
5. Maintenance of roads

Definitely #3 and #5 would work well as a local news feature article for the local newspapers. But, I need to decide which one to do and get 12 publications writing guidelines for freelancers.

So, think I'm busy? This isn't the half of what I've got to do this weekend.

Imaging Africa: watch 3 movies a second time and write up their journal entries, watch 1 movie for the first time and write up its journal entry, then read 2 chapters and 1 handout.

Senior Survey: Read the General Prologue for The Wife of Bath (piece of story from The Canterbury Tales) and start researching and writing my 5-page paper on The Canterbury Tales that's due on 2/21.

Magazine Class: what's above plus read chapter 4

Internship: (not really homework but can be done at the office) finish up newsletter to give to Tina by Wednesday for final review so it can be published on 2/19. Almost done, just a few more topics to add.

Plus, Cassi goes to Pa's on Monday and Tuesday this week, along with making sure her homework is done. Oh, and by the way, I've also got a Valentine's party to prepare for on Thursday with school. I'll probably be the one going out and buying the goodies for the school on Wednesday night and bringing them in Thursday. And, I've got my share of the goods to buy for her class. Sunday night, we'll be getting the cards together. Thursday, I'll pick up candy so she can hand them out to her class.

Plus, I'm helping Rob this weekend with his English quiz and Sociology assignment. AND, tomorrow night, we're going to a dinner with one of his lodges (he's in 2).

So, when people talk to me, understand I'm tired for a reason. But, good thing is, last week I got my HAIR CUT! All the curl is gone (well 99% of it anyway). I'll be working to get the rest cut out as my hair grows again. One of the parents from PTO who works at the school during lunch says Cassi and I look like twins. We'll have to get a picture of us together now that both of us have short hair.

Gotta go. I'm reading some sociology on deviants tonight to help Rob come up with his answers for tomorrow. Gotta love that web-based class!

Lots of love for now,
Cathy
8^ )

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well that sounds like you're a little busy... hehe!! Good Luck with everything!!

Cathy said...

This is why I haven't been able to talk with you much. I think all my friends feel slighted this semester. But, can't do much as I'll be done in May. Ooh, 3 months from Sunday will be my graduation day!

Cathy said...

Rob got an 80% on his English quiz! Yeah!