Sunday, September 02, 2007

Cassi's First Day (and Week) of School...

So, Cassi started school this week. Monday to be exact!

"I'm FREE! Free as the wind blows!" (yep, that's me singing)

But, even though I'm free, I'm actually up there at school with her almost EVERY day. That's what happens when you're the PTO President. I will probably be that way for the next five years.

But, as I said, Cassi started school this week. She was so excited. Here are the two pictures I took of her at her desk:


Her teachers are really good too. She'll have the same teacher again this year for her special ed stuff. Because of my schedule, we had to find someone to take her on Wednesday evenings. Dan, the Treasurer of PTO, picks up his daughter, Alexis on Tuesday-Thursday. He figured why not in taking Cassi. When I have to go to class Wednesday nights, Cassi will go there and spend the night.

She was lucky! No homework this week.

A sad little story enfolded on her first night there. The girls decided to play kamkazi(sp) off the couch. They were jumping off the couch. Cassi slipped and fell on her left wrist. Dan said she cried and he had her ice the wrist. Then, she was off playing again. Thursday, she went to school and was fine all day. Of course, with all this being "normal," I didn't think anything of it Thursday night when he brought her home (when Rob's working on Tuesday-Thursday, Cassi will be picked up by Dan).

Friday morning came. I was getting stuff ready for school. Luckily for Cassi, only four days at school, and she gets a day off. The teachers had a professional development day. Cassi Nana took a half day off so Cassi could stay with her while I was in class. I don't know this professor very well and didn't just want to show up with her in tow to class. I will probably have him again in the spring and don't want to be on his "bad girl" list.

But, as I said, I was finishing homework and getting stuff ready to go. While she was going for the afternoon, she was also going for the weekend. Pa had big plans for them for the weekend.

About an hour after she got up, she comes running into my office crying and her wrist hurts so bad. I have to wake up Rob (came home after 3rd day in a row of work). We still haven't gotten the insurance cards yet and not sure what to do. So, I called the doctor's office to get her in. Doctor is busy but was told to take her to the urgent care. By the time all this happens, it's noon. I have class at 1:30pm. I knew I wouldn't be able to get her there and the class on time.

So, she goes to Nana's. I pick her back up after class and take her to the urgent care center. They take an x-ray and call the films into the affiliated hospital. Appears Cassi fractured her wrist. If you look at your left hand, with the thumb on the inside (top of hand is facing you), the bone down the line from the thumb is where the fracture is. The said the bone was actually scrunched. So, Cassi gets put into an air cast. I have to take her to an Orthopedic Surgeon for a regular cast. She will also be out of gym for a month.

But, the worst part is, she writes with her LEFT HAND! She does write with her right hand and will have to do so all the time now.

Yesterday, she tried to negotiate getting the cast taken off in a week. Gotta laugh at that.

So, all Pa's plans got shot to Hell. Pa did take her to the zoo yesterday. It was alot of walking around. Today, she went to Chuck E. Cheese's, but couldn't do any climbing, just some games. He was taking her to Target to go shopping this evening. Not sure what they'll be doing tomorrow, but she wants to come home before daddy goes to work.

So, that was her first week at school. Next week will be interesting because she's having problems with the dressing and de-dressing when using the potty. And, as most people know, the toilet paper lives on the left side of the stall. And, with doing homework, I will probably be even more busy helping write down her homework for her. I'll get to sleep 2-4am each night after doing her homework with her and MY homework.

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. I'll be 100% grey by the time this semester is over!

2 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

Oh no! I can't believe she fractured her wrist! Poor baby...I hope she isn't in too much pain. I broke my wrist when I was 10 and it was the worst summer of my life. I couldn't do anything. I am sending her hugs.

Unknown said...

The most important thing is that she is able to write with both hands at this point so it may not be so bad after all. And the big thing about going to the zoo was that Mom (Cassi's Nana) went with them and walked with them around the zoo. Her back didn't hurt at all, but because of how long they were walking around (close to 4 hours) her hip hurt a little bit. But considering how bad it used to be before she lost the weight, this is a huge accomplishment!