Thursday, March 20, 2008

Threatened...

OK. Here we go again. Today, I was meeting with my career coordinator at school. She asked me how my day went at the career fair. For those of you reading who do not know, I went to a career fair my college put on Feb. 29. (I haven't told you about my experience there.)

But, today, I met with her. She is wonderful with pointing me where I need to go for a job.

I told her about this specific company, which will remain nameless as I would still like to consider the company for a job prospect. I told her how I talked with them at the fair and gave them my resume. They seemed eager for me to find out more about the company. The job that would be for me is called an Interactive Analyst. This job role does Internet marketing.

So, I went to the information session. First, to preface what I am about to say, I am not prejudiced. In the room, the candidates (those not presenting, worked for said company or CSU) were all but 4 of us NOT Caucasian. During the session, the main presenter explained the company, what they do, who they compare to in the area business-wise, and the 3 different roles people get hired into. He talked about how the professionals being hired need to be geared up quickly to be working for the clients quickly. There were questions regarding new hires and how long it takes to get into working with clients. He mentioned about "billable hours," but he didn't go into a further explanation of what "billable hours" was. One of the girls in the presentation I had had a class with a year ago, the news writing class. She looked VERY confused about this. She asked the presenter if she would be working for the company. What they failed to explain, that I explained to her after the presentation was, billable hours are simply this:

1. you work for said company
2. you do work for said client who is paying said company
3. said company bills said client a specific amount for the work you do for said client
4. you get paid by said company

It's as simple as this. I know MANY of the others in the presentation, being that they do not have work experience like I do, were just as confused as she was. I talked to said presenter and explained that and how I explained because I had consulting experience in the past. At the time, he was very appreciative of my explanation.

I explained to my coordinator the companies I spoke with and the results that happened (or didn't happen). Then, she told me she was COMPLETELY floored how the companies just haven't responded to me at all. I told her the story above.

She said to me that she believes these individuals are THREATENED by my level of knowledge and work. That, in some instances, either the person is "small," that I communicated not to their liking (even though I have all this knowledge), or that I'm far too overqualified for any of their jobs. I agree with the "small-thinking" mentality. I believe these reps are THREATENED by my level of knowledge, how I learn things quickly and use what I know EVERY DAY!

So, what she suggested was that I play "dumb" in interviews. I'm sorry. I can't do that! She said, because she and I are much alike how we like to help people; I like to FIX things, at home, at my school, at Cassi's school, etc. etc. But, I'm sorry. I don't think I should have to DUMB myself for anyone. I learned at Ernst & Young how to be mature and learn everything there is to know about EVERYTHING. AND, I learned to share what I know with anyone who asks.

One motto I've always said to people, "If I don't know the answer to what your question is, I'll find it."

So, in the past two years, I've now heard about being THREATENED. In this case, it deals with prospective co-workers who don't know how to be TEAM players, even though they boast how good they are at being TEAM players. She also said these people are probably seeing me as the competition to take their jobs, which is not what I would do at all and HAVE NEVER DONE SO!

Go figure. How do I feel about all this? Mad because someone would be so petty not to consider me as a candidate on the fact that they are jealous of my knowledge. Sad because I have so much to share but walls are being put up in front of me. A feeling of HA because "I know more than you do."

My coordinator said how she sees how much I've done, how much I want to do, I'm very knowledgeable but very down to Earth because of what I've done and who I've helped. She really sees me as a teacher. But, to do that, I need further education that I just can't afford now, even if ever. But, I can do "career" type training.

But, one of the things I'm working on right now (and believe me more writing is EXACTLY what I don't need), I'm prepping myself to start doing freelance writing. There's a Web site, called

www.elance.com

This is a site that's like a middle-man for freelance jobs of ALL kinds. VP - this might be a good idea for you to look at. Once I'm finished and ready, I'll start working on creating proposals for writing opportunities. Even if I get a contract job somewhere or a full-time job, I'll still work on freelance writing as it will only help add to my writing portfolio.

But, I've gone through 2 nights now of my magazine article being reviewed by my classmates. The first night, I got some good ideas of things to add. Some of the costs associated with my purchase of the pellet stove was not included. But, some of the suggestions, things like "How do I maintain the system?"; "How do I store the fuel?" would be questions that I would add in a side-bar smaller story, or even a larger feature story. Tonight, my reader, one of the older ladies, was completely floored at all of the highly technical information included in my story. For someone in her knowledge range, this story would be above her. After, she asked me who I was targeting to send this story to. I told her I was looking at construction-type trade journal. With this reply, she agreed the level of information would be good for that type of publication. Also, I think I floorer her with all the different types of quoting and stories and overall length. I think my professor really enjoyed my story. I know he's read my first draft already. Each day now until the end of the semester, we'll be making SOME type of change to prepare it for publication.

OK. I'm going to elance.com to get my registration finished.

Wish me luck! This weekend, I've got:

1. internship tomorrow
2. pick up vacuum cleaner from annual tune up
3. help Rob get his paper 2b ready for rough draft (paper also based on alternative heating)
4. research and write prospectus for senior survey due Monday at 3pm
5. meeting with Professor Singer Tuesday morning
6. watch movies for film class discussions next week
7. Easter on Sunday
8. Cassi's off next week (no internship and no day classes)

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well I hate to say this, but your advisor is right! Those reps probably are small in their company and they probably do feel threatened by you or they feel you are over qualified. And while you don't want to play dumb persay, for the love of all of our sanity and you getting a job, if it take being a little bit more modest, not dumb, but modest, then DAMMIT YOU BETTER DO IT!!! Ok, that's all I'm going to say! Love you!