Monday, April 14, 2008

An Update...

OK. Stress is BAD for health, but GOOD for getting the job done.

Last night, I didn't get the last piece of the film paper for today. I finished putting the paper together, getting the cover, table of contents, and the works cited for all four pieces put together, along with creating an intro and conclusion for the paper as a whole. Then, this morning, I printed the document 4 times, one copy for each of my group mates and one master copy to turn in. For the master copy, I used my binding supplies and comb-binded the master. Then, I worked on the presentation as Rodney submitted to me the information needed for his part of the presentation and Annette's part. I created the template and put the presentation together too. I also printed a hard copy of the slides to give to the professor with the report.

Then, I worked on continuing to write my Senior Survey paper. I had 6 pages of 12 ready for tomorrow (last night). I sent it to my classmate, Amanda who has been wonderful at helping me with my topic and suggestions for sources. She replied that she had read it and realized she learned something from my paper. My topic? How does the family survive when a woman goes on pilgrimage? Remember, this semester's Senior Survey dealt with Medieval Pilgrimage (The Canterbury Tales, The Book of Margery Kempe, etc).

Then, (enough then's?) I got ready for my presentation. We had to be dressed professionally for class. I showered and dressed in red dress pants, black blouse and black suit jacket. When I got there, I wanted to get our presentation up on the computer, not knowing what technology difficulties we would have. And, indeed we did have problems. We were going first. The second group decided they wanted their stuff up before ours. Well, that just didn't work. For one, we were presenting items that would be found on the Internet. I had the hyperlinks ready and working on the presentation (on another computer that was more modern). I had to close out all their stuff to use our items first. Because the room is a theater, the computer we used on the stage was controlled in the media room. AND, because the presentation wouldn't open directly to our links, I had to pre-open the links and use the keyboard on the stage to navigate between the two. One of the guys in group 2 was so PISSED. He was still pissed when class was over. Sorry, I was concerned that during OUR presentation, the FIRST presentation, that I would click over to a part of their presentation. Not good. My group mates all had notes for their parts of the presentation; I did not. And, for Barb and Annette, I ran the presentation for her. We even were able to answer all the questions that were thrown at us, especially since the questions came from group 2.

Not to blow our own horns, but we believe our presentation was the best. Everyone else experienced the technical problems we had, but no one had the technical knowledge that I did to overcome our issues.

And, after class one of my group mates and one classmate asked me if I had done presentations before because I seemed very flawless and knew what I wanted to say. I told them yep, that I had worked for a consulting firm for 7 years. During that time, I taught one-on-one training all the way up to teaching classes of 100 people. Presenting is easy for me. I don't mind being in front of a crowd at all, especially when I know my topic.

I came home, stopping for gas along the way. I'm trying to wait until the ABSOLUTE last minute to get gas. This time, I had 294 miles. But, gas was $33.50. I'm getting gas once to twice a week this way.

I came home and made dinner. I made steak and stuffing. We went out to Walgreen's to get Cassi's "itchy girl medicine" and to Giant Eagle to stock up on canned corn and other small grocery needs (lunch meat, bread, lunch snacks, butter). We got home and I started working on my paper again for tomorrow morning. I'm all done with it for now. It's just over 11 pages long. Good enough for the rough draft. I even printed my take home exam for tomorrow night's magazine class.

Now, I'm working on my writing samples for tomorrow's interview. Wish me luck. I should know something by 6 pm if I got the job or not. If I do, I'm actually now looking to start working on 4/24, half day, which is the end of next week.

OK. I'm still going strong, but dying slowly.

Lots of love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. Thanks to everyone for giving me LOTS of support. I should graduate Manga Cum Laude at this rate.

3 comments:

jellybean said...

you've been a busy bee! i love walgreen's!! i have to go to the grocery story tomorrow myself(YUCK) keep up the good work!
it sounds like you're doing a great job!

Cupcake Blonde said...

I am so proud of you!! Magna Cum Laude is nothing to sneeze at!!

Unknown said...

Keep up the good work, only a few more weeks to go and then you will be done!! And EVERYONE'S stress levels will drop!