Wednesday, April 23, 2008

All the CRAP this week...

In all the CRAP going on this week (like I don't have a thesis and just wrote 12 pages for nothing on my senior survey), 2 bright beams shown:

1. Today, I got to sit in on a grant review. Very interesting; very caddy women. I can't believe how many groups were turned down because they didn't "SPECIFY" what diverse groups they intended to communicate their project to. The one reviewer, African-American, completely turned down a Hungarian group's request for funding because they didn't signify they would advertise to AFRICAN-AMERICANS.

But, today is my last day at my internship. We got the last newsletter out Monday. This was a nice way to end my time. Positive thing? I get to put this down on my resume and employment applications as a "job."

Tina came over to the review, which happened to be next door to my internship location, and gave me a gift. It is a candle and an angel-ornament thing. I'll post pics soon. The candle, which I will never burn says on the back:

You are a Star

Isn't it amazing how a blanket of
stars can light up a night sky?
Side-by-side they twinkle together
to create a beautiful work of art.
When we shine together we light
up the world to make an
unforgettable difference

Thank you for shining with
us.


2. On Monday, I sent an email to my internship adviser, asking if he needed anything from me about my time during my internship. After all, I am getting a grade for this, which just happens to be an A. Tina replied to my email and communicating to my adviser what her thoughts were on my performance here at the office. Here's what she said:

Michael and Cathy: Whether English Department needs my two cents or no, I am sending them here:
I believe that Cathy's internship has given great value to our office. During the entire time she was here with us, Research News moved forward, with little or no supervision, each month - from inception to publication. Her quick grasp of the simple publishing style and her equally quick understanding of research issues, needs, and areas of focus here at CSU were invaluable in finding sources, and creating notification for our faculty and students. In addition to being able to complete an assignment on time and in specification, Cathy is a person who brings to the endeavor a fresh perspective, and a willing hand: she has located for us sources for grant funding we had not tapped before, she grasped very quickly the importance of the student funding section of Research News and aggressively found sources for us to add to that section.

Besides accomplishing tasks assigned to her, and bringing other nuances and information to the venture, Cathy diligently fulfilled our contract - that is, we agreed upon a certain number of hours and a certain number of weeks for the fulfillment of this internship. Cathy met and matched that obligation - she made certain that if her hours had to alter for class or personal reasons, those hours were fulfilled on an alternative day in the week or in the following week. That kind of diligence and dedication is appreciated by those who depend upon the services provided by an intern, a student, or an employee.

Finally, I found in working with her that Cathy is a caring, thorough, and intelligent person. She has added value to our office during her tenure here. The Pre-Awards section of OSPR is very grateful for her time, efforts, and talents.

Pretty impressive, eh? I thought so. It's too bad companies overall couldn't be more flexible and willing to take chance on people like me who can offer 200% focus on any effort needed.

But, even with all this, my lingering issue is, that I have disappointed a few people this week, like my Senior Survey professor. I wanted to write a KICK-ASS paper. True, I need just a C from this class to graduate, but I want much more. AND, why should I try for less when I know I can do more. In essence, this is what she said: 1. you have no thesis, 2. you didn't read the books you are writing about, and 3. your quotes don't match what needs to be written. I feel like I wrote 12 pages of NOTHING. And, she said this, with the intent of it coming directly to me, "Just because you got a B- on your rough draft doesn't mean you'll get the same grade if you don't make the changes I suggest." My hope for salvation: re-read any areas of the books used in my papers and add the necessary book quotes to support what I'm saying in my paper. Books to read: The Canterbury Tales and The Book of Margery Kempe. Time to turn in: May 1.

My other classes: I know I'll be getting an A in my Magazine class. My film class? Not sure, but either an A or B.

It didn't help that my child decided on Tuesday morning to get up at 3:15 am and stay up because she had a nightmare, but didn't want to wake me. She woke me more than she knew.

With that, I'm closing for now. I've got to do a peer review for a classmate for her Senior Survey paper. It's due back to her tomorrow.

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ (

2 comments:

jellybean said...

my my that's a load to write!
good for you with your good grades! your senior survey prof. doesn't sound very encouraging just by saying "i'll give you a better grade if you do it again the way i wanted." granted those weren't the actual words, that's what it sounded like. i don't think you wrote 12 pages of nothing. but i can imagine that's how your teacher made you feel. but they are there to teach us aren't they?
i know all about the 3 am wake up calls! i hear they hang around even after your kids move out!
just keep up the good work! it seems like tina is very impressed with you. it's too bad that not all companies will take folks in on a whim, they really could contribute great things!i guess that's what an internship is for, so that we eventually get a chance to show off our hard work!

you are truely a shining star. never doubt that.

Unknown said...

Not much longer now and things will calm down hopefully! Work on that paper, you can do better. Good Luck!