Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Cathy's Creative Services

First Day with MY Business...

Okay, so today was slow. In fact, there was HARDLY anyone at the flea market at all. I spent time with a little girl (mom & dad had a store site a few down from me) Cassi's age. I let her watch a movie because she was bored. Cassi didn't come until the afternoon.

The little girl's mom said that the slowness was probably for a few reasons:
1. the weather (hot then rainy)
2. there have been all kinds of festivals this month that people probably spent all their money on
3. it's the end of the month and people will have money in a few days

I realized I didn't really like the space I was in. But, I figured I would keep it and see what would happen. I went over to the office to pay my money for next week. Because I didn't start this past Saturday (birthday party of Rob's daughter), I had a credit. So, today, instead of paying for 2 days next week as you have to pay a week in advance, I only had to pay for 1 day. But, after leaving, I found out the other person who was my competition, for baby shower invitations, had left. The manager said she had to leave unexpectedly because of something with her husband. The only reason I could think of was that her husband was being called up to go to Iraq.

But, her loss is my gain. I am able to move to her spot (actually the one right next to her old one). I realized it was a nicer building and seemed to be a LOT cooler. The manager said it was almost 10 degrees colder. This is a bonus for me because of bringing and using my laptop. This will help keep it cooler. And, in this building, there are more crafty-type businesses. The people I was sitting near today all said that building gets less traffic. But, I think I'll do better overall. And, this spot is only $3 more a week. When Rob came and picked me up, we packed up everything because I get to go back tomorrow morning to setup.

But, alas, I made no money today. However, I did get a nibble on someone wanting Watkins Products stuff and a nibble on someone wanting custom-made magnets for her daughter's birthday. I've got the magnet stock that will print in my printer. Why not? And, the woman only lives about 15 minutes from me. I told we could turn around her needs pretty quickly. And, she looked at my tea bag envelopes and thought it was a good idea. She couldn't believe I am only charging $1 each (that's for the design, ink to print, paper, glue, and tea bag). When you get the stuff in bulk, it's really cheap to make them. The only time consuming part is the time to design, cut, and glue the envelope. If anyone is interested in a sample, just send me an email with your mailing address. I can send on to you. email: henneca@hotmail.com.

Okay. I'm going to close now. I think I got about 3 hours of sleep last night. I've got some laundry to fold before Rob gets back.

On the home front: I've been helping Rob paint the trim. Dan is going to help him, maybe tomorrow to put the trim up. Once it's up and the room is finished painting, it will be time to move the furniture back, bring my hutch up from the basement, and all the CRAP that goes with it. My time is coming quickly. Plus, I've got the flea market the next 2 Saturdays and Wednesday. Yep, they are open on July 4. Hopefully, it's crowded and people like my tea bag envelopes because I've got buko made that are American Pride themed.

Lots of Love,
Cathy
8^ )

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well good luck with the new spot, although I don't think there will be a lot of people out on the 4th. But you never know for sure unless you are there!

Anonymous said...

Hope you do well at the new spot! The tea bag envies sound cool!

Lynda said...

Good luck! I bet you will do really well with the new spot.

I think I might disagree with Marie though. I think the 4th would be busier because no one works. But then again, sometimes it is a crap shoot.

Cupcake Blonde said...

Good luck! I think the 4th may be busy in the morning and afternoon because most people do things in the evening and at night when it is cooler and there are fireworks.