Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My Birthday...

OK.

So, this week was my birthday. It was Tuesday, June 19 to be exact. I was born at 11:42 am. With that said, no wonder I don't like to get up early. If I could just get up at 9am every day, I would be just fine. Not to say that I'm not used to getting up at 7:30 am still from getting Cassi up and going to school.

Anyway, I spent my day with hubby. Cassi was at Dan's and Alexis's house. She spent the night Monday night.

For my day, I did something special. Instead of a usual cake, I made a strawberry pie. A few weeks ago, we traveled south to Amish country, where we purchased wheels of cheese that they make right on the premises. Also, we purchased a tube of strawberry jel. Monday night, we went to Super K, looking at the veggies and stuff on sale. The strawberries just didn't look good. After Cassi went to Dan's, I went to Costco. Monday, I received birthday cards from Rob's mom, Rob's grandmother, and Marie (thanks!). From Rob's grandmother, I got a $10 bill. At Costco, I was able to pick up 4 pounds of strawberries for $6.49 and a pineapple for $2.99. The total was $9.48, with 52 cents left over. Rob and I sent msgs to each other about how to spend the left over change.

But, I got my 2 favorite foods for my birthday. That night, I did a "blind bake" of a pie crust. I don't use graham cracker crusts on anything, only pastry crust will do. After the crust was ready, I put a layer of the jel in the bottom, then loaded it with strawberries. Then, jel on the top.

For my birthday, I wanted cheeseburgers and home made fries (from potatoes). We cut up the potatoes and made the fries. We took the pie over in the evening to Dan's and shared it with Dan, Mary Beth, and Alexis. Cassi didn't want any. The pie was the best. I didn't add any sugar to the pie. Whatever sugar was there, was in the jel. I definitely will get that jel again. It was thick, even thicker than the stuff you see at the grocery stores. Probably because it is made my Amish. It was almost as thick as licorice candy. Hmmm? LOTS of sugar.

Otherwise, my birthday was quiet. I know Marie tried to call on Monday, but alas, I think I was napping at the time.

Lots of love,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. No party. Cassi kept looking for people to come over for a party. She doesn't realize that we really don't do that kind of stuff when we get older. It's just another day. If I had had a job, I probably would have been working.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a load of crap!! Birthday's aren't just another day!!! I'll fill her in on how other adults (like me) celebrate their birthdays.

Cupcake Blonde said...

I agree birthdays are a big deal! I hope you got my text, I dropped my phone and it has been acting wonky.

Happy Birthday again! And it sounded like a great pie! Yum!

Cathy said...

No, I didn't get your txt msg. The pie was AWESOME. If you didn't live so far away, I would send you one. Remember, next time you come to Marie's, I'll make sure I stop up (only a 3-hour drive) and I'll cook. Marie loves when I come and cook. What are sister's for?

Cathy said...

Marie, I haven't had the opportunity to go out for my birthday in years. I'm kinda like dad on this one. And, because it has been so long, I don't know what I WOULD do for my birthday.

Lynda said...

Happy Birthday! If I wasn't gone, I would have come to party with you!!

I love birthdays! I still think they should be made a big deal of. After all, you survived another year. ;) It's better than not, right?