Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Truth...

Okay. So, I think I've got some of the truth. Monday morning, Cassi's class had a "teddy bear" picnic outside next to their class during lunch time. She forgot to bring friends to class, so I came back with them just in time for lunch. Since I was there, I figured I would help herd the kids into the school who were buying lunch. As we were getting them together, I get a call from ex. I was a little winded from the kids, but the phone cut out. She called back and apologized that the phone cut out. She wanted to talk to Rob. I'm thinking something is wrong. I tell her, "I'm down at the school. Give me about 10 minutes to get back to the house and I'll have Rob call you."

"Oh, I thought I was calling the house phone?" she said.

"You are. While we're working on the floor, the house phone has been diverted to my cell phone." I said.

"Oh," was all she could said in reply. And, there was nothing else she could do. Rob's cell phone was in the office and he was sitting on his rump putting the first coat of poly (plastic seal stuff) on the hard wood floor. There was no way he would have heard the phone.

So, I get the kids into the lunch room and have to leave. I get back and tell him, "Call your ex."

Here, they wanted to meet him for lunch. But, he wanted me to go too. We met at McD's for lunch. They asked if Cassi was done school because Nicole was. Nope. This Friday.

So, we get there for lunch. We find out:
  1. Nicole is in public school for the first time this year and just finished 9th grade, even though she's turning 16 on June 20 (must have been held back a year).
  2. Husband #2 did not die. They got divorced in February.
  3. Nicole does work part-time right now as a lifeguard at a camp ground.

We found out that, as the story goes, she has photo books with pictures of Rob and Rob's parents. She actually didn't ask about Rob. She asked about his parents and wants to see them. She'll be able to in July when they come for Rob's grandmother's dedication for a war memorial that they are honoring Rob's grandfather, even though he passed away a few years ago. The grandmother will accept the honor.

But, since we were meeting them, she didn't mail the letter, she just brought it along. In the letter, she talks about how she wants to get to know Cassi and do things with her this summer. Works for me. Cassi is SO excited about having a big sister. She talked about how she couldn't call Rob, "dad" because the man who adopted her is her dad. Works too and is understandable. Then, she talks about how she works because she wants a Chevy Cobalt. She has to make the money because her parents are strapped for money right now. Whoa! Hold it a minute! We don't have the money ourselves. She didn't come out and ask for the money, but the insinuation is there. I'll just keep this to myself for right now. I did tell Rob that if she asked his parents about buying her a car, they would buy her one in a heartbeat and pay cash to boot. And still treat Cassi like dirt. Yes, Marie, I know our family is the coolest, but I had to add the info for my 3 readers who need the background.

So, afterward, being as logical as I can, because if I'm otherwise, I'm worthless, I say to Rob that logically, we need to move my office to the basement and setup the room currently being used as my office as a bedroom. He said no. If she wants to come stay over, we will bring out the blow up mattress in the living room. We are not setting up the office as a bedroom. Marie agrees because that's just a sign that we want to become financially responsible for her. Not going to happen, especially with her adopted father paying child support for her.

We do have their address. She asked us not to just show up because only mom and mom's boyfriend (oh, didn't know she's got one of them now) know about them finding us. Ex (mom) told us she paid $60 to track us down. She knew where we lived when we lived in Grafton, but once we moved and recently, our phone number isn't available publicly. But, Nicole's grandmother would be livid if she knew Nicole was seeing Rob.

That's how the weekend went. I'm doing the "wait-and-see" thing to see what will happen. She did act nice to me on Monday and said that she likes me in her letter. Her birthday is the day after mine. My b-day is on June 19 and her's is June 20. We've been invited to her party that is on the 23rd, but Rob probably won't be able to go as that's his night to work.

With that, I'll close. I've got 2 more posts to add, but will draft them and get them ready tomorrow.

Love to all,
Cathy
8^ )

P.S. I'm feeling much better this week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad things are going better!! Give Cassi a big hug for me and tell her I'll see her soon!

Cupcake Blonde said...

Sounds like things are getting worked out...even if they are are still a bit muddled.